Messed up on council tax single person discount

edited 27 January 2014 at 9:27AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
4 replies 1.1K views
tortoisestortoises Forumite
5 Posts
Hi Forum,

My partner moved in to my house in March 2012.
In September 2013 I notified the local council of changes because he had just passed his financial qualifications and I assumed that he was no longer a student and therefore had to pay council tax and I had to remove the single person discount; they rebilled me.
He is currently just in the process of arranging his visa to remain in the UK and it has now dawned on me after reading through the masses of documents that in fact his study ended in February 2012 and I had misinterpreted what he had told me, plus I didn't take any advice on his current visa and what it meant. I wrongly assumed :(

I have been up all weekend worrying about this as I have never had anything like this before in my life and I am unclear of what the consequences might be as the local council website has no guidance (unlike others).

I cant leave this as its made me ill in just two days knowing that I made such a monumental error.

help!

Replies

• Poppie68Poppie68 Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    tortoises wrote: »
    Hi Forum,

My partner moved in to my house in March 2012.
    In September 2013 I notified the local council of changes because he had just passed his financial qualifications and I assumed that he was no longer a student and therefore had to pay council tax and I had to remove the single person discount; they rebilled me.
    He is currently just in the process of arranging his visa to remain in the UK and it has now dawned on me after reading through the masses of documents that in fact his study ended in February 2012 and I had misinterpreted what he had told me, plus I didn't take any advice on his current visa and what it meant. I wrongly assumed :(

I have been up all weekend worrying about this as I have never had anything like this before in my life and I am unclear of what the consequences might be as the local council website has no guidance (unlike others).

I cant leave this as its made me ill in just two days knowing that I made such a monumental error.

help!

The best place for your post is the Benefit and Tax credit forum.
  • is it easy to move or do I just post this again there ?
  • Poppie68Poppie68 Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be quicker to post it again on there, or you could ask a mod to move it.
  • ok thanks for the advice
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals