I want to build a bay window seat

Options
Woohoo! :j

Any pointers/suggestions/encouragement?

Comments

• IHateDida
    IHateDida Posts: 1,670 Forumite
    Options
    We have just had one installed. We used kitchen base units with cupboards - so we have storage underneath too - and added a worktop on top - it all fits perfectly and was much much cheaper than hiring a carpenter (your other option). Just got to get a cushion made for it!
  • Lemoncurd
    Options
    We recently did similar, bought an ikea tv bench with drawers to use as the base. It was slightly too tall but we were able to cut the legs down. We then used thick MDF cut to the shape of the bay for the top and for boxing in the corners. To finish it we used some wooden trim strips from Homebase to cover the edge where the MDF sits on the bench them painted the whole lot white. We also got some 2" furnishing foam cut to shape to make a cushion for the top, still need to get around to covering that though. Worked very well and came in at under £300 for the lot. We did look at 2nd hand furniture places first but couldn't find anything the right size.
  • mallymal
    mallymal Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Made one years ago from 18mm mdf.

If I was doing it again I would make it as deep as a sofa. Also I made mine too high.... As it's basically a foam cushion on an mdf box it doesn't squidge down as much as a sofa when you sit on it.

If I'd got these two aspects right it would be more comfortable to sit on for longer periods...

Good luck with your build.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport