COOP vouchers

Options
Having had some vouchers from the Coop because I use Coop Energy, I went to my local Coop supermarket recently to spend them.

Astonishingly, the till then printed out a £1 off your next £10 shop voucher, which I have used today. That's a 10% discount! Sadly, after completing today's shop, when I cashed in the voucher, I wasn't offered a further £1 off voucher.

Now, getting to this store is not exactly easy for me, but is worth it with those £1 off vouchers!

But does anybody know what triggers them being offered, since they clearly aren't always? I hadn't been to that particular store for some time, was that possibly the reason? If anybody knows, I would love to, too! For example, if you don't shop there for a certain time, do they automatically offer you a voucher when you do?

In my case, that extra money off meant an awful lot, since I am somewhat broke at the moment.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• LadyCoupon
    Options
    If you manage to pick up one of the free co-op magazines at the checkout, there is a £2 off a £10 spend in there, valid till March.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having had some vouchers from the Coop because I use Coop Energy, I went to my local Coop supermarket recently to spend them.

Astonishingly, the till then printed out a £1 off your next £10 shop voucher, which I have used today. That's a 10% discount! Sadly, after completing today's shop, when I cashed in the voucher, I wasn't offered a further £1 off voucher.

Now, getting to this store is not exactly easy for me, but is worth it with those £1 off vouchers!

But does anybody know what triggers them being offered, since they clearly aren't always? I hadn't been to that particular store for some time, was that possibly the reason? If anybody knows, I would love to, too! For example, if you don't shop there for a certain time, do they automatically offer you a voucher when you do?

In my case, that extra money off meant an awful lot, since I am somewhat broke at the moment.

Thanks for any advice.

Generally the vouchers are given out between dates x and y and then valid between y and z.

The recent exception has been the £5 off £20 spend which were given out between 2nd-14th January but could be redeemed between 2nd-31st January which meant you could use them up to the 14th and get another £5 off £20 spend voucher.
  • cozza
    cozza Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work in co op i have found if you havnt used your card that often it will print a voucher out so it gets you to shop there .
  • Stevefromdonny
    Options
    Not strictly right cozza.

The vouchers are given out between set dates in campaigns, but for the standard "member card swipe" vouchers they will only be given out once a week during said campaign. Loads get printed every monday, first day of the campaign week. It is based on your average spend, so if you spend on average £50 a week, they will print you a voucher for £** off £60. Unfortunately with the Co-op this isn't particularly clever because many of their stores are very small and though customers may spend £50 a week, it is spread over 7 days sometimes, so they are unlikely to use the coupon unless they change their shopping habits.

Worth looking out for the "£5 off £20" vouchers when they happen though - in general these are given to everyone (not just members) to encourage a repeat shop.

I would urge as many people to sign up to the membership scheme as possible at the moment though, because the membership scheme is meant to pay out twice a year. At Xmas it failed to do so because of the poor profit performance at half year. To counteract this, they printed vouchers worth 10% of what you had just spent, that you could save and spend up to xmas eve. Most members got more back through this voucher scheme than they would have with the members points payout. I have a feeling they will do something similar this June (the full year payout date), because the full year profit was even more abysmal than the half year.

Please bear in mind, the Co-op food is making a healthy profit of around £250m a year, the memebrship payout is based on the Co-op GROUP performance as a whole, which unfortunately has been wrecked by the bank.
    Could HAVE. Should HAVE. Would HAVE. Not OF.
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I'm not sure you can say that they're making a healthy profit- they just shut our local large store because the group is doing so poorly. I did rather well out of the closing down sales however! And it's not the only one they are selling off.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just got a £2 off £20 next shop
  • Working_and_Scheming
    Options
    East of England Co-oP had a good year as apparently not in the Co-oP Group so not affected by the banks downfall. Just cashed £196 dividend for the last years shopping with them so worth signing up as a member if you haven't already done so.
  • unicornfreak
    Options
    I've received a £5 off your next shop when you spend £5 or more.
  • jayvee93
    jayvee93 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unicornfreak, I also received that as well. I read it several times to guarantee I was reading it correct lol

but I was :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport