Do I have to pay council tax after Ive moved out?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
5 replies 890 views
acs_2acs_2 Forumite
165 Posts
I recently sold my property and move in with the in laws until my partner and I find new house.

My local council tax office have now sent me a bill stating that I owe them £380. I was paying council tax monthly and never missed a payment. Are they trying to charge me to the end of the financial year?

So, why am I getting a bill saying my first payment will be taken from my account on 5th Feb?

Do I have to pay the entire financial years tax even if Ive moved out? Shouldnt the buyer have to pick this excess up?

Do I have to pay this?

Im a tad confused.

thanks in advance
To have integrity means that you don't agree with everyone you meet, nor do you succumb to pressure to be something that is in direct conflict with your core ethics.

Replies

• corbyboycorbyboy Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Have you informed them you don't live there any more? The bill should state the period of charge. It won't just have the amount due on it.
  • fed_up_and_stressedfed_up_and_stressed Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    No you will be the responsible party until the completion date when it be come the responsibility of the new owners.

I take it you HAVE let them know when you sold the property ??? Otherwise how would they know the correct date to bill you up to. (Assuming the new owner hasn't told any porkies about the completion date).

You need to speak to the council tax dept of your local council to find out when they are charging you up to.

Don't forget that if the property was empty for a period before you moved /out or sold then you may still be charged council tax whilst it was empty due to the changes in April 2013.

(The Government has allowed councils to introduce changes to Council Tax discounts and exemptions in respect of second homes and certain empty properties. There is also a new power to charge an additional amount of Council Tax on properties that have been continuously empty for more than two years. These changes in legislation started on April 1 2013).

Suggest you pick up the phone to your council to find out what is going on.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • Torry_QuineTorry_Quine Forumite
    18.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you inform the council that you'd moved out and is the bill for the period until the house sold?
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • acs_2acs_2 Forumite
    165 Posts
    Yes, told them the day that the property was sold/when I moved out. Perhaps I ought to ring them again and tell remind them that I moved out.
    To have integrity means that you don't agree with everyone you meet, nor do you succumb to pressure to be something that is in direct conflict with your core ethics.
  • fed_up_and_stressedfed_up_and_stressed Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    acs wrote: »
    Yes, told them the day that the property was sold/when I moved out. Perhaps I ought to ring them again and tell remind them that I moved out.

Yes strongly suggest you do that .. Some councils won't close the account down until you provide them with the name of purchaser and the name of the solicitors you have used for your house sale so suggest you get these deyails before you call them.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides