Is the Post Office playing fair about its mailing list?

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i've registered with mps

so i don't look at all this or should i actually be looking

Should i still tick and untick these sort of things? i just assume that no one will send me anything that i didn't ask for.
  • All this opt-in/opt-out malarkey only exists because of how New Labour implemented the EU directive on marketing - the EU wanted an opt-in system, but New Labour wanted (and went with) opt-out.

We're the only EU member state (afaik) that went with opt-out on marketing.

Why did they do it? Probably because of all the big companies lobbying them and offering party donations... But I'm cynical.
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    This isn't the worst example (though bad enough).

I've seen some large companies offer one set of check boxes which will be opt-out and another set directly below which are opt-in. You'll only notice if you read very carefully.

There can also be double negatives e.g. "you will not be contacted if you do not tick the boxes below".

The worst will let you complete your activity (e.g. end your application) and in small writing on the footer of the completion page ask you to click a link to opt out.
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I thought this was straightforward. Much better than the companies who use double negatives, or apply your choice only to marketing from 3rd parties and always treat you as opted in to their own mailings.
  • On the face of it it seems like you have to opt out if you do not want info. I prefer to opt out rather than in.
  • meher wrote: »
    i've registered with mps

so i don't look at all this or should i actually be looking

Should i still tick and untick these sort of things? i just assume that no one will send me anything that i didn't ask for.

If you opt-in (or in this case don't opt out) then you have technically "requested" the mailings so MPS won't stop you receiving them.
  • fordred
    fordred Posts: 12 Forumite
    I think opt-out is better. Most people skim-read (or never read) T&Cs, and check every box available hoping to rush through registration.

It's the same when installing software and you have to accept T&Cs and sometimes it offers to install toolbars and whatnot. People click everything just to rush through.
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you opt-in (or in this case don't opt out) then you have technically "requested" the mailings so MPS won't stop you receiving them.
    good point, thanks
  • yes I find this confusing, and it's not only that form as can be read from my response to a recent thread on the royal mails tracked services!!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=64442184&utm_source=MSE_FS&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=14-Jan-14
    others didn't quite see my point, but this is not an isolated case as can be seen on the international signed for service.
    I stick by my claim that the wording is misleading in both cases
    When a jar contains rocks, pebbles and sand is it truly full? What about beer?
  • Read the question then answer it by ticking your choice. It is perfectly understandable for any educated English-speaker....I see nowhere where it's "misleading"," immoral" or "unclear".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure