40th Birthday No Presents Required

Options
Hi All,

I'm having a party in a couple of months for my 40th, but as I don't drink, and if I was going to a 40th i'd bring a bottle of wine, I'd prefer guests to make a small donation to a charity close to my heart - just not sure how to word it on the invitation!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ta very muchly!
Plan to PAD Everyday 2024
Credit Card - £3662.99 (int free to 11/11/25) -
PAD Totals
Jan 2024 -

Comments

• bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "No presents please - just your presence". However if you feel you want to mark the occasion my favourite charity is X and further information can be found at......."
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    I would just put no presents just your presence. I think its a bit rude to force people to donate to a charity. Why say anything?
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 January 2014 at 8:04PM
    Options
    themull1 wrote: »
    I would just put no presents just your presence. I think its a bit rude to force people to donate to a charity. Why say anything?

You aren't forcing anyone to do anything.

You could just say " Your presence at my party would be wonderful, no presents please but if you wish to give a token gift then donations to charity X would be most welcome"

Personally I would rather give a cash donation to someone's favourite charity than puzzle out what to buy for them with the idea in the back of my mind that it maybe wasn't suitable and it would be thrown/given away- in which case money wasted.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This has become very acceptable in recent years and I don't think anyone that knows you personally will be offended.
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    themull1 wrote: »

If you don't give people another option, quite a few will end up buying a present because they don't feel comfortable coming to a birthday party (especially a significant one) empty-handed.

We did the "no flowers, donate to charity if you wish" request at both my parents' funerals. I don't think anyone felt forced to give a donation.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    giving to charity would be anonymous, as you wouldn't know who had given and who had not so your guests shouldn't feel under pressure to give or offended at the suggestion. I think it's a good idea.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    and after all that- hope you have a superdooper 40th birthday party! (and that your favourite charity gets a little something too)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I think it's a very good idea and most people will probably give something.

I had to laugh though at the idea that a bottle of wine is the gift of choice, I would give an actual present.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport