PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• DanielleNic87
    DanielleNic87 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 January 2014 at 7:14PM
    Options
    dumpling wrote: »
    I would love it if you could post the recipe please. I'm counting calories and quite often use SW or WW recipes. Thanks x

Here you go dumpling :D

SW kebab

Ingredients:
    1 teaspoon plain flour
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    500g/1.1 lb lamb mince
    Method:
    Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F
    In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, dried oregano, dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.
    Add the lamb mince and mix thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mixture, punching and kneading until no air pockets remain and the kebab meat is extremely smooth.
    Shape the seasoned mince into a loaf and place on a baking tray.
    Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.
    Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
    Slice the donor kebab as thinly as possible and serve with pitta, salad and sauces!!!

Hubby spent £9 odd at T's so just going to round it up to £10. I asked him to get chicken breasts and he bought home some chicken quarters which were only about £2.50 for 2 and then the ingredients to make SW quiche.

Now off to teach hubby the importance of knowing the shopping bill to the exact penny :rotfl:

February GC £26.68/£250

• lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you! Sounds lush and perfect for me and my mum when I go round for a couple of nights later this month!
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    re the 15p dried fruit in sains local
    Wish I could find this is my local Sains but there's nothing :( Have picked up some mincemeat for 10p a jar though (3 jars today) bit miffed as I paid 30p for the same stuff last week! No harm or foul though I suppose as it's reduced down from just over £1 a jar!

the bags of dried fruit were on the top shelf of the fresh fruit and veg section in our store in a plastic basket, hope you manage to find some.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    I spent £8.74 on fruit & veg & should have enough until friday.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • marris
    marris Posts: 644 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    craigywv wrote: »
    just lost big post MARRIS recipe and method please those baps look great!
    I used this recipe http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23934/basic-white-bread-for-loaves-and-rolls.aspx and also put a roasting tin in the oven with 1 pint of cold water to have crusty top.30min and they were perfect!
    Jan GC £66,82/100 Jan NSD 17/31; Feb GC £71,67/100 Feb NSD 14/28;Mar GC £81,82/100 Mar NSD 16/31;Apr GC £99,54/100 Apr NSD 14/30; May GC £127,20/100 May NSD 12/31; June GC £70,05/100 June NSD 17/30; July GC £47,52/100 NSD 05/31
  • marris
    marris Posts: 644 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    another NSD again.
    Jan GC £66,82/100 Jan NSD 17/31; Feb GC £71,67/100 Feb NSD 14/28;Mar GC £81,82/100 Mar NSD 16/31;Apr GC £99,54/100 Apr NSD 14/30; May GC £127,20/100 May NSD 12/31; June GC £70,05/100 June NSD 17/30; July GC £47,52/100 NSD 05/31
  • islandhoppa
    Options
    another NSD to report, took lunch to work and had some of the Bolognese sauce I made a batch of yesterday with some pasta for tea
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NSD here. Hoping to do a slow cooker sausage casserole tomorrow. Im really enjoying this challenge. Going to have to either order a delivered shop for weds as Friday deliver charges are extortionate or do a mini morrisons shop one evening and order big shop for next Tuesday, hmmm I'm tempted with the latter as Tuesday will be near enough 1/2 way through the month then.

Kids seem to like what I'm cooking too. Bonus

Sarah x
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just popping on to update my spends - currently standing at £74.34 / £165 so I'm quite happy as there's only two weekend shops left, so we should be OK.

Made some amazing hot and sour lentil soup today - will post the recipe once I've written it up for the blog. Pretty frugal and very very nice :) also made a nice seeded loaf too, so that's my lunches sorted.

bluegreen if you do have time to share recipe that would be fab sounds right up my street i love lentil soup and love hot and sour so this sounds amazing combining the too

lamb chops out of freezer with veg tonight . No spends here today though was tempted by going to chipper to treat DS who is back off to uni tomorrow but he said he would prefer chops...good lad :D

must be a day for fridge cleaning mine got attacked today too

JD xx
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    just popped in to report a NSD. Had to buy Petrol and was VERY tempted at the 12 pack of Hula Hoops for £1.49 (half price) but thought about how many crisps we actually have left so quite pleased with my little self. Well done everyone x x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure