NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

xbox 360 / xbox one joining party

Slightly confused title as I am asking on behalf of my son! Two of his friends have now got xbox ones. He has an xbox 360 with the live gold membership. Can he now not talk to any of his friends who have xbox ones? He says he can send them typed messages but cannot talk to them. Is this correct or is he doing something wrong in the party setup?

Many thanks.
:hello:

Replies

• DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Slightly confused title as I am asking on behalf of my son! Two of his friends have now got xbox ones. He has an xbox 360 with the live gold membership. Can he now not talk to any of his friends who have xbox ones? He says he can send them typed messages but cannot talk to them. Is this correct or is he doing something wrong in the party setup?

Many thanks.

According to this you cant
  • Thanks DCF. That means he can't play any of his games with them either then - even though there was that whole thing about the 360 games being playable on the xbox one. The whole thing is such a swizz. He'll just have to go old style and go visit them!
    :hello:
  • Takeaway_AddictTakeaway_Addict Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    The 360 games have never been able to be played on the One, that as far as I am aware was standard from the beginning.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • ifstarifstar Forumite
    485 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Thanks DCF. That means he can't play any of his games with them either then - even though there was that whole thing about the 360 games being playable on the xbox one. The whole thing is such a swizz. He'll just have to go old style and go visit them!

You've misread that as there has never been any mention of the xbox one being backwards compatible with the xbox 360. As you say, they can still message each other but can't voice chat.
  • Ye unfortunately there is no chat or game play from a xbox one to a xbox 360
    You can't be lost if you don't know where you're going.
  • BeetlemamaBeetlemama Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    One of my sons group of friends got an xbone for Christmas and he abandoned it for his 360 age finding out he can't play with his friends any more. Can't imagine why they didn't make it backwards compatible but they didn't.
    "There is no substitute for time."

Competition wins:
    2013. Three bottles of oxygen! And a family ticket to intech science centre. 2011. The Lake District Cheese Co Cow and bunny pop up play tent, cheese voucher, beach ball and cuddly toy cow and bunny and a £20 ToysRus voucher!
  • StuC75StuC75 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    If it was fully backwards compatible then as a system it wouldn't be a step forward.. Given the new system has different capabilities with chat \ parties then it was never going to be feasible to try to merge the 2 in terms of functionality.. It was never advertised as being backward compatible..

What they did do was make it clear how people could upgrade from 360 version of a game to xbox one equivalent in a cost effective way - basically this meant they could maximise sales at launch of the games rather than people just wait for the xbox one version..

To be honest I find it a great improvement to be away from the younger 360 users that plague most multiplayer games..
    Beetlemama wrote: »
    One of my sons group of friends got an xbone for Christmas and he abandoned it for his 360 age finding out he can't play with his friends any more. Can't imagine why they didn't make it backwards compatible but they didn't.
  • mttyladmttylad Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It does however have the effect of preventing many of those who's main enjoyment is party chat with friends, friends who may not all upgrade to an xb1 at the same time.

It certainly stops me.
  • StuC75StuC75 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    keep the xbox 360 plugged in and chat with them whilst playing on the xbox one..
    mttylad wrote: »
    It does however have the effect of preventing many of those who's main enjoyment is party chat with friends, friends who may not all upgrade to an xb1 at the same time.

It certainly stops me.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum