Flat tyre no spare wheel

Options
I have been ill over Christmas, and I have just found that one of my tyres is flat as a pancake. Don't have any pump to pump it up enough even to get it to a tyre place. I am with Green Flag through Hughes Insurance, but have never used them.
Could they come out and fix a puncture, or what would they do?

ps my car is one of those that does not have a spare wheel.

Comments

• stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pepper33 wrote: »
    I have been ill over Christmas, and I have just found that one of my tyres is flat as a pancake. Don't have any pump to pump it up enough even to get it to a tyre place. I am with Green Flag through Hughes Insurance, but have never used them.

These are getting to be a bloody nuisance. I paid over £20,000 for a car only to get a puncture and find the same. The emergency kit - adhesive - didn't work and was messy to say the least, so I ended up asking my Dad to come and take me to a tyre place to get it fixed.

If you haven't got a friend or family member who can take you to the likes of Kwik Fit take the wheel off and get a Taxi. Greenflag won't be able to fix it on the spot but may tow you to a Garage.
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you have home cover? If so they will either pump you up, replace your tyre or take your car to a dealership to have the tyre replaced.

You need to buy a spare wheel, instead of just having a pressure gauge, get yourself and all in one pump and pressure gauge, they aren't expensive.
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your car doesn't have a spare, then it should have something like this -
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_164842_langId_-1_categoryId_165664

Not sure how good they are, but I carry one for emergencies, like getting off the motorway / getting somewhere safe to change the wheel.

Are you anywhere near a Halfords or similar?

This is the Tesco version -
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/flat-mate-emergency-tyre-repair-500ml/653-6474.prd?skuId=653-6474&pageLevel=sku&_requestid=4581996
  • stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Witless wrote: »
    If your car doesn't have a spare, then it should have something like this -
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_164842_langId_-1_categoryId_165664

Not sure how good they are, but I carry one for emergencies, like getting off the motorway / getting somewhere safe to change the wheel.

Are you anywhere near a Halfords or similar?

This is the Tesco version -
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/flat-mate-emergency-tyre-repair-500ml/653-6474.prd?skuId=653-6474&pageLevel=sku&_requestid=4581996

But they can only be used once. Probably cheaper to take the wheel in a friends car or Taxi.
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pepper33 wrote: »

Can you borrow a pump - often a tyre will stay inflated long enough to get to a tyre place?
  • pepper33
    pepper33 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    stebiz wrote: »
    These are getting to be a bloody nuisance. I paid over £20,000 for a car only to get a puncture and find the same. The emergency kit - adhesive - didn't work and was messy to say the least, so I ended up asking my Dad to come and take me to a tyre place to get it fixed.

If you haven't got a friend or family member who can take you to the likes of Kwik Fit take the wheel off and get a Taxi. Greenflag won't be able to fix it on the spot but may tow you to a Garage.
    I agree, and anyone I know who have used that stuff has ended up getting a new tyre anyway, because the likes of KWIK FIT don't like getting all of that foam out of the tyre. Can 't the tyre of myself.
  • pepper33
    Options
    Tiexen wrote: »
    Can you borrow a pump - often a tyre will stay inflated long enough to get to a tyre place?
    I used to have one, but it was stolen, and wouldn't blow up the tyre anyway.
    What are those air compressor products, and where can you get them. I might just go out and buy a foot pump.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Call green flag, ask them to recover you to the tyre place.

Or..get them to inflate it, and follow you to the tyre garage.

Job done..
  • pepper33
    Options
    I think I will just do that, and get a spare tyre when I am there.
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Options
    Couldn't you simply remove your wheel and get a taxi to take you to the nearest tyre repair facility? Some local garages will even come to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure