Gaming headphones?

Is it possible to find a reasonable set of headphones (with mic) for around £50? Or is that stretching it a bit too far? I am utterly clueless.

My husband plays Eve online and has broken his headphones. He's got a fair bit for Christmas already so I don't want to spend too much, but if I can get a reasonable set for around £50 I will.

Or might it be better to wait until the sales? If he can bear to be without Eve for that long :D

If you can recommend something for me to look for, I would appreciate it. I am forced by circumstances to have to go out shopping tomorrow (shudder) and will be going to a large shopping centre, so most stores (including Maplin and PC World) will be accessible.

Many thanks

Replies

• I'm also looking for headphones - for PS3 though.

There's a lot in the current sales already but if it's PC you're looking for and £50 is around what you're looking at I imagine you'll get some decent ones at that price - the ones I've seen at that price certainly look the part anyway.

GAME.co.uk have a big sale on at the moment. You should be able to find some headphones there.
  • CarerCarer Forumite
    296 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    We use these for gaming in our house (3 gamers) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000P5VR16/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers Have tried lots of others but always end up back with these, they are really comfortable and sound is great and voice is clear.
  • These are on halfprice offer for £20 in Game at the moment:

http://www.game.co.uk/en/tritton-kunai-stereo-headset-186213

You can't really go wrong with the quality and comfort of Trittons in my personal opinion.
    A smile costs nothing, but gives a lot.
    It enriches those who receive it without making poorer those who give it.
    A smile takes only a moment, but the memory of it can last forever.
  • Those have been out of stock for a while.
  • mttyladmttylad Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Turtle Beach X11's will work fine if you get the PC version and they are about £20.

IMO for gaming its all explosions etc so a great audio range is not really necessary, cables can break after about 12 months gaming with pulling them etc so unless you are able to replace the cable/plug etc yourself it may be better to go for a cheaper pair.

I wear a pair that cost me a fiver with an original Xbox mic affixed and they work fine :)
  • criboocriboo Forumite
    104 Posts
    I've got a pair of Plantronics Gamecon 5.1 gaming headset and it's pretty good. It plugs in with USB, has a reasonable microphone with a mute button and volume scroll wheel, and offers fairly good sound quality. They can go pretty loud and I have little to complain about them. Potential downsides for me is that they are fairly big, and can get quite hot and uncomfortable after long gaming sessions (they start to hurt a bit, though I have big ears). They are also quite weighty, but I got used to them quickly.

They can be bought for about £30, I got mines on ebay refurbished, though they were sealed and looked brand new, as far as I know, the retailer had hundreds of them.
  • Afterglow AGU.1 cans amazing sound, £59 from Asda & they are compatible with ps3,xbox,wii,PC or just as headphones.

They also light up in the chosen desired colour
    You can't be lost if you don't know where you're going.
  • Thank you all for your replies. I thought I had already posted this, but seemingly not.

I got him a set of Turtle Beach in the end and he is pleased as punch with them. It was very much a case of "get into the shopping centre, grab what you need and get out again as soon as possible" (I loathe shopping!) and the Turtle Beach were one of the first ones I saw.

Thank you again for all your input :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals