Train tickets to airport

Options
I am flying from Birmingham in March/April and just looking at buying train tickets to get me to the airport. There is a 'Super Off Peak' which is very attractive (£9.90 return from Milton Keynes) and would fit with flight times. But what would happen in the return flight is delayed? The Anytime Return with London Midland is £22.45, which is still a good deal, and presumably times are not set even if I specify a train.

Thanks
somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's

Comments

• pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just noticed that Virgin haven't got their prices on their website yet so may have to wait a bit. Anyone know when they bring out the next wave?

Thanks
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 December 2013 at 1:57PM
    Options
    Your return ticket (and the outward too) is valid on any superoffpeak London Midland train - it's not an advance ticket so it's not booked trains only

You could buy it on the day

I would guess the next batch of Virgin tickets will come out at the end of this week. I doubt they will be any cheaper
  • pandora205
    Options
    Thanks - I should be okay then as long as I'm not so late it gets to peak times (I'm due to arrive back at 12.35 so that's unlikely).

Virgin won't be cheaper but they are much quicker, so I think I'll wait a little longer.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Super Off Peak Return, valid on LM Only, from MKC - BHI is £15, so I guess you must have a Railcard, as that reduces the fare to £9.90.

The return portion is not valid on trains timed to depart BHI between 1630-1930.

I agree that if you depart between those times you would need to excess the ticket, but I do not agree that the appropriate fare would be Anytime.

The appropriate fare would be the Off Peak Return, also routed LM Only, which is valid for travel at any time on the return portion, priced at £13.20 with Railcard discount. Therefore, the excess would be £3.30.

My source for the fares and restrictions is a website called BR Fares. This lists all fares and the accompanying restrictions. I am not permitted to provide a hyperlink to it though.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pandora205 wrote: »
    Virgin won't be cheaper but they are much quicker, so I think I'll wait a little longer.

Just noticed your dates - it's probably going to be a month before Virgin tickets are out for late March/early April. They are currently there until early March and another week's will probably come out at the end of this week - they tend to come out a week at a time.
  • pandora205
    Options
    yorkie2 wrote: »
    The Super Off Peak Return, valid on LM Only, from MKC - BHI is £15, so I guess you must have a Railcard, as that reduces the fare to £9.90.

The return portion is not valid on trains timed to depart BHI between 1630-1930.

I agree that if you depart between those times you would need to excess the ticket, but I do not agree that the appropriate fare would be Anytime.

The appropriate fare would be the Off Peak Return, also routed LM Only, which is valid for travel at any time on the return portion, priced at £13.20 with Railcard discount. Therefore, the excess would be £3.30.

My source for the fares and restrictions is a website called BR Fares. This lists all fares and the accompanying restrictions. I am not permitted to provide a hyperlink to it though.

Thank you - That's very helpful. And yes I do have a railcard so that does keep prices down. I'll check the BR site (I've investigated via Thetrainline and Red Spotted Hanky) as that seems to have clearer information.
  • Mids_Costcutter
    Options
    [QUOTE=pandora205;64082257_I'll_check_the_BR_site.[/QUOTE]

If only.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts