From Heathrow to Euston in January?

Options
Hey,

Im returning from a long 9-month trip on January th 14th and so decided to book my trains now to get a cheap rate. Unfortunately however there appears to be works on the line between Heathrow and London in January so you have to take the Heathrow express which costs £80 for a 20 min journey which is just insane.

Does anyone have any other solutions to my problem getting from Heathrow Terminal 5 at 3pm to Euston on January the 14th 2014?

Cheers,
Mike

Comments

• cosmojohnson
    Options
    There don't appear to be any engineering works planned for that date (which is a Tuesday), so you have many options.

Quickest is on the Express - a single Heathrow Express ticket is £20 (more if you buy it on the train; you won't save anything further by buying in advance), then take Hammersmith & City line to Euston Square which is a short walk from Euston itself.

Heathrow Connect services take about double the time, only go every 30 mins but would cost £9.50 to Paddington.

Cheapest would be to use Oyster on the tube straight from Terminal 5 changing at Green Park.

You could also consider taking the bus to Feltham, train from there to Vauxhall and then the Victoria line to Euston.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £80 by train... you're kidding.

www.taxifarefinder.com estimates £83.62 for that journey by taxi.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,227 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    £80 by train... you're kidding.

www.taxifarefinder.com estimates £83.62 for that journey by taxi.
    Where has £80 come from?
  • wealdroam
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    Where has £80 come from?

From the original post:
    mikeysee wrote: »
    ...to take the Heathrow express which costs £80 for a 20 min journey which is just insane.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't know where you're getting your info from OP, but these are the offical sites

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/livetravelnews/planned-works/calendar/default.aspx
    https://www.heathrowexpress.com/Booking/TicketSelection

There are no engineering works on the Piccadilly line on the 14th Jan, only 11th & 12th.

Heathrow express is £20 single.

As you're not in the UK perhaps you've clicked on a dodgy site aiming to rip off tourists?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • cookie365
    cookie365 Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    Options
    Is Euston your final destination? If you're getting a train up to the north west or Scotland, it might be easiest and maybe even cheapest to get a coach to Watford Junction.

http://www.greenline.co.uk/
  • mikeysee
    Options
    EDIT: Ughh not allowed to link in here!

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

I checked National Rail Enquiries AND ticketline.co.uk for my date and time and get the total journey cost at £94.50 at the cheapest:

I did another search from Euston to Stafford and I get one at £16.50:

So I assumed that that the Heathrow to Euston journey is costing me £80 roughly.

But looking again now separately it appears that the Heathrow -> Euston costs £24 ().

It appears that some trains cost £14 and some cost £71, I guess that these websites are kindly selecting the £71 journey for me!

Cheers for that link to taxifinder.com BTW didnt know that existed!
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Take the AirBUS instead - goes all the way into town at a reduced rate.
  • wealdroam
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    Take the AirBUS instead - goes all the way into town at a reduced rate.

What airbus?

Have you got a link please?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 December 2013 at 9:10AM
    Options
    Do NOT buy online a rail ticket of any description starting at Heathrow - there is nowhere there to pick it up.

Instead buy an advance ticket from Euston , You can pick it up from the machine there or there may be an e-ticket option.

Then on the day buy a tube or Heathrow Express ticket into London

Main problem is how long to allow for the journey in case of plane delays and the like. An 'advance' ticket is only valid on the booked train and has no value if you miss it.

Buzby probably means this:

http://heathrowairbus.com/home.html

It costs more and takes longer than the Heathrow Express and won't take you to Euston Station - only to a nearby hotel. Via maybe half a dozen other hotels en route if you are unlucky
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure