Table Decoration Help!

Options
Wondering if anyone can help me with table decorations for my upcoming wedding.

We decided to do them ourselves and used an online company called Michael Dark to get the items we wanted.

Our idea was goldfish bowls on mirrored tiles(both from the company mentioned) with some purple sand in the bottom then floating candles from Ikea and some floating flowerheads.

Our initial delivery arrived a couple of weeks ago with 15 sets.

Two of the bowls were broken and one of the mirrors so we sent them back and got replacements... One of which was also broken so after three attempts we finally go all we needed.

And here is where our problem has happened.

We set everything up and it looked very good and very professional and we left it in the dining room while we watched TV. we left the candles lit because we wanted to know how long they lasted for so we knew if we would need to replace them half way through or if they would last for the whole meal and speeches.

When we came back in we found water over the dining room table and a huge crack in the bowl. Touching the glass it was VERY hot so it appears the contrast between the cold water and the heat from the candle has caused the glass to crack :(

- Do you think I can keep the candles but get rid of the water and just use more sand?

- Or can I keep the water but get rid of the candles?

- Or do I need to get rid of both and rethink, if so does anyone have any other ideas?

- Can anyone recommend a cheap supplier of floating flowerheads(real or fake)?

I don't know if it's the volume of water that caused it, the heat from the candles or a combination of both :(

Comments

• Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    You could use Floralytes instead of candles :)
  • wishfire
    wishfire Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

For our wedding we used silver pebbles and small pillar candles in vases, they looked great and could have lasted several hours more than we needed. I'm sure that would also work great with sand....

Also, I was in John Lewis yesterday and they seemed to have a lot of candles in their sale, so maybe have a look at those too?
    Good luck with your planning!
  • groovychick69
    Options
    In my opinion it's probably the thickness of the bowls, I do venue dressing and use cheaper fishbowls that tend to have thicker glass. I use floating candles regularly in them and have never had this happen. My fishbowls are from home bargains
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure