Coffee bean recommendations (Bean to Cup mach)

Hello

Does anybody recommend pocket-friendly coffee beans

for a bean to cup machine?

Comments

• I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Manufacturer recommends Arabica Beans for best flavour & lower caffeine

Dark roast - stronger flavour

light roast - milder, aromatic and fuller flavour

Says to avoid very dark roast as too oily and can clog

Now which brand ?
  • Beans are a personal taste so have fun trying different ones!

seriously though there is far less variability in beans than in ground coffee so there is less to choose between the different 'makes'. Frankly its difficult to go wrong with beans and as long as the coffee is from fresh beans it'll be far nicer than even expensive preground coffee.

I find tesco strength 3 beans to be make perfectly adequate day to day coffee. (tesco finest columbian supremo - was very lucky to pick 6 bags up for 80p each recently as they were reduced due to packaging change)

I also really like cafe direct cloud forest (3). and have previously enjoyed M&S ownbrand beans (5) and Taylors espresso beans (5). These should all be able to be picked up on the high street/supermarket.

you might like to try local coffee roaster/suppliers or perhaps a well regarded website such as happy donkey.

remember to refrigerate or preferably freeze your unused beans in an airtight container away from strong odours and not to leave more than you need in your machine at short notice. exposure to fresh air damages the natural oils and they dry out.
  • I_luv_cats
    Beans are a personal taste so have fun trying different ones!

seriously though there is far less variability in beans than in ground coffee so there is less to choose between the different 'makes'. Frankly its difficult to go wrong with beans and as long as the coffee is from fresh beans it'll be far nicer than even expensive preground coffee.

I find tesco strength 3 beans to be make perfectly adequate day to day coffee. (tesco finest columbian supremo - was very lucky to pick 6 bags up for 80p each recently as they were reduced due to packaging change)

I also really like cafe direct cloud forest (3). and have previously enjoyed M&S ownbrand beans (5) and Taylors espresso beans (5). These should all be able to be picked up on the high street/supermarket.

you might like to try local coffee roaster/suppliers or perhaps a well regarded website such as happy donkey.

remember to refrigerate or preferably freeze your unused beans in an airtight container away from strong odours and not to leave more than you need in your machine at short notice. exposure to fresh air damages the natural oils and they dry out.

Thanks for your really helpful personal input. :j
  • swebb
    swebb Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    I recommend Farrers in Kendal. Whenever we visit the Lakes we always grab a bag. You can order on line:

http://www.farrerscoffee.co.uk/
  • I_luv_cats
    swebb wrote: »
    I recommend Farrers in Kendal. Whenever we visit the Lakes we always grab a bag. You can order on line:

http://www.farrerscoffee.co.uk/

Thanks for suggestion
  • I'm into my 3rd year of hasbeans in my mug 52 weeks subscription.

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/

You can choose ground, roasted beans or green (roast yourself) beans.

They do shorter ones and monthly or you can buy whatever you like.

Costs me £250 for the year and I get 250g of beans through my letter box every Saturday.

You get a different coffee each week and the variation is usually brilliant although we've had a bit of a run on different Finca varieties recently. Todays was yellow bourbon.

Get yourself some 750 ml glass french preserving jars (the ones with he rubber ring and clip down lid £3 off amazon) as they hold 250g of beans perfectly. Lastly store in a dark place like a kitchen cupboard and never ever in the fridge.
  • Almost forgot -

You can/should ask in local coffee shops to see if they will do you a bag of beans.

My local Federation Coffee use to do some nice stuff but have recently lost their roasting house..... so I'm on the hunt for another as I need a filler bag every now n again.

Having just had to slum it with a bag Taylors - Lazy Sunday beans the difference was not pleasant!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure