Want to buy a keyboard with touch sensitive Keys

I'm looking to get a keyboard for DS3 for Christmas. I don't play any instruments so don't really know where to start but gather touch sensitive keys would be good.

I've been looking at the reviews on Amazon but wonder if anybody on here could give some tips as to what to look for.

Many thanks
The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair

Comments

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 November 2013 at 9:06PM
    Budget?

Take it you want this as a substitute for a real piano, not as a machine for making electronic music?

'Touch sensitive' has a different meaning from 'weighted' or 'hammer action' ...
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    googler wrote: »
    Budget?

Take it you want this as a substitute for a real piano, not as a machine for making electronic music?

'Touch sensitive' has a different meaning from 'weighted' or 'hammer action' ...

Thanks for your reply. My son says the teacher at school's keyboard plays louder if you press the keys harder but he one's the students use don't - that is what I meant.

He has been asking for a keyboard for a while, I think some sounds on top of piano is what he is after.

I will ask his class teacher tomorrow too.

Budget is quite low, up to £150. happy to get second hand if I know what to look for.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The class teacher will be best placed to advise on what will be needed for the curriculum being followed .... Come back and let us know the result of this.

What's your take on what style of music is to be played? If classical piano, you need to look at an 88-key electric piano with touch sens and a weighted or hammer-action keyboard - unfortunately, these, new, come in at the best part of £300, plus stand and stool.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure