Returns - where do I stand?

Not sure if this is the right area to post in, but it's cycling related.

On the 5th of November I bought some Shimano Ultegra 6800 SPD Pedals from an online retailer. A couple of weeks later I fitted them and instantly found out they were a lot tighter to clip in and out of. I originally started with the tension set in the middle of the range, but quickly realised I couldn't even get my foot to click in let alone out! I had previously used Look pedals which were a lot easier to clip in and out of.

Now a couple more rides later and with the tension screw almost all the way out I'm still finding it really hard to unclip from. I'm also finding it's giving me ankle pain from the force required to get my foot free of the pedal.

The retailer's return's policy doesn't cover returning used goods, but I have spoken to them and they adjust I visit a bike shop for them to take a look at my pedals and check them over.

I feel this is a bit of a cop out. Why would a local shop want anything to do with me after I went and bought these pedals from an online retailer... Anyway I'll give them a shot and see what they say! I've got a feeling they will tell me where to go or charge me for their time which is fair enough.

The retailer I purchased the pedals from has said I can return them to them and if they are faulty I can have a refund, but I just know they will turn around and say there's nothing wrong with them and buy the way you owe us £x for the privilege of us looking at a non-faulty item.

At the moment the way I see it is they are unfit for the purpose intended. I can not safely release my foot from the SPD and also I am getting a lot of ankle pain from the force required to get my foot free.

I'm pretty sure I'm past all the SPD related topples experienced with clip less pedals, but whilst using these I'm not so sure!

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If, despite your efforts, these are Not Fit For Purpose, then you can ask for & expect to get a full refund.
    Leave the third party out of it.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange#web
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The advice with SPD SLs is usually to start with the tension all the way out and then increase it once you become used to them. I took a long time to get used to mine, in fact I found it easier to twist my heel in than out originally, which risks snagging the wheel. I wouldn't be without them now though.

You could also try a drop of oil on the hinge.
  • I had my old Look setup for 2 years and never had a problem even when brand new. It's horrible riding without clipping in now and I feel like I can't put any power down or sprint properly.
  • jwruk
    jwruk Posts: 205 Forumite
    Which cleats are you using, fixed or float?
  • the standard yellow shimano ones supplied with the pedals.
  • jwruk
    jwruk Posts: 205 Forumite
    I'd either send them back and let the retailer check for faults, if they're not faulty then you'll have to cover the postage cost but they can't charge you for a fault-finding check.

See if your LBS has got a bike with SPD-SLs on that you can try, or perhaps get in touch with your local cycling club.

Personally I prefer Keo's, been using them for years.
  • Its sounds like your used to clips ok, and you're using the right cleats yes?

Try watching some Youtube videos to see if there some technique, I know SPD-L can be harder to get in/out than SPD but you were using SPD-L already.

Failing that, you'll just have to return them. If they're not faulty you may just have to take a hit on the cost (maybe sell on as they will be nearly new), not everyone gets on with all types of pedals.
  • I have now returned them to the seller and the seller has said the manufacturer wishes to inspect them.

Now I have to wait 10 days for this to happen. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport