PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

diabetic baking advice

Options
2»

Comments

• greyfox
    greyfox Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Truvia (or Splenda etc) doesn't react with eggs in the same way as sugar does when whisked together, so this is a recipe which wouldn't work with the substitution. Sorry.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    My nurse told me to stay away from any form of artificial sweetener, in fact aspartame and sucrose have been linked to type 2 diabetes. I just use half the quantity of sugar or substitute for icing sugar, you only need a tiny amount to sweeten anything
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My nurse told me to stay away from any form of artificial sweetener, in fact aspartame and sucrose have been linked to type 2 diabetes. I just use half the quantity of sugar or substitute for icing sugar, you only need a tiny amount to sweeten anything

Thanks. What about stevia or xylitol?

Surely icing sugar is the same sugar content as granulated sugar?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Icing sugar is sweeter than using ordinary sugar so you use only half the amount
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Dustyblinds
    Options
    My son is a T1. He doesn't really have a sweet tooth but on the rare occasion he asked for a home made cake or scone, I tend to use a recipe which gives a breakdown of carb content so he can adjust his insulin accordingly.
    When he was first diagnosed at 13 I purchased a diabetic cookbook and it has an absolutely delicious Christmas cake recipe which I have used a few christmases. Ds doesn't even like Christmas cake and when the recipe comes out there's lots of eye rolling :rotfl:
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I use ground almonds (almond flour) and Stevia. That way the carbs stay low. I also use Da Vinci syrups bought on Amazon for flavouring. My hubby is type 2 diet-controlled.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I have a book called Sugar-Free Cakes and biscuits by Elbie Lebrecht which is very good. They have all been checked by Jasmine Challas, a dietician at St Bartholomew's Hospital in London, who has ensured that carbohydrate and calorie counts are correct.

1p on Amazon at the moment
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business