New to comping...a few questions.

Options
Hi all,

As you can all see i'm very new to comping (I've only been doing it for a few weeks) and I was just wondering the best way to check if I have one a particular comp. Currently I've been logging all my comp entries in a book with the end date next to them then when the comp has finished I've been searching on mse for that particular comp then searching tw/fb or blogs etc to see if I've been successful. This however has been taking me forever to do and I spend a good two hours of my day more or less checking previous comps to see if i've won.

So, I'm thinking that there must be a simpler way of doing it. Can anyone advise me if there is.

Also, does anyone use a spreadsheet or a programme to keep track of comps entered by end date? I'd love to know how to log them using this but don't have the technical know how to work out how to do it.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• purple_x
    purple_x Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    If you win something you will usually get a WEM (winning email) or a WTC (winning telephone call)
    Or the prize will just turn up.

On twitter you are either mentioned in a tweet or send a DM.
    If you have your twitter settings set up for it you will receive an email to notify you that you have been mentioned or DM'd.

On facebook you will be messaged or tagged.

If you want to search your name you can use 'social searcher'
    http://www.social-searcher.com/
    Just type in your name and 'winner' or 'congratulations'

Hope that helps.
  • StrayCat
    StrayCat Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you enter competitions on Facebook I would suggest joining this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/315412321841373/
    The people there post winning announcements that they spot and tag people if they have won something.
    There is also a section in your messages called "others" - if a company contacts you directly on Facebook it will go in there.
    If you enter via an APP on Facebook they will usually email to let you know if you have won.

Another way is to Google your name along side the words winner or congratulations - put your name in quotation marks

eg "Joe Bloggs" Winner
    "Joe Bloggs" Congratulations

On Twitter they will Tweet you or send you a Direct Message to inform you if you have won.

Most competitions ask for your email address anyway and will email you to let you know so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I Google my name once a week, check my Facebook messages every day and emails several times a day.

I have never tracked what I entered. I only track wins, I know some do use spreadsheets but to me it's a waste of precious comping time.

Good luck.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
  • Tooty_Frooty
    Options
    Thank you both for taking the time to reply. You have both been very helpful. I will now stop searching each post to see if I've won and will just take it as it comes but I will use the hints and tips you suggested.

Thanks again :-)
  • angiesandhu
    Options
    I have also never tracked what I have entered- I used to do that a couple of years ago but realised it was taking time out of actual comping and the green tick came in and that was brilliant.

I just enter and wait and hope for the best-I don't think about any particular comp after I have entered it unless it was a photo or effort comp.

Good luck xxxx
  • StrayCat
    StrayCat Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're welcome - just one more thing, when you search using Google it's a good idea to you use "search tools" to search certain lengths of time. As I do mine on a weekly basis I filter it so that only results within the last week show up, that way I don't have to go sift through the same results each time.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
  • Tooty_Frooty
    Options
    StrayCat wrote: »
    If you enter competitions on Facebook I would suggest joining this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/315412321841373/
    The people there post winning announcements that they spot and tag people if they have won something.
    There is also a section in your messages called "others" - if a company contacts you directly on Facebook it will go in there.
    If you enter via an APP on Facebook they will usually email to let you know if you have won.

I have just tried to access that fb group but I get a message saying the page cannot be requested. Any idea why?
  • Moneybot
    Moneybot Posts: 10,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have just tried to access that fb group but I get a message saying the page cannot be requested. Any idea why?

It's a private group and you have to be invited by a member to join I think
    Rational judgement, now, at this very moment.

Virtuous action, now, at this very moment.
    (Wisdom, Courage, Self-control, Justice)

Willing acceptance - now, at this very moment - of what you can’t change
  • Tooty_Frooty
    Options
    Ah, thanks Moneybot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business