prize not what i was expecting.

Options
i won a comp run by canopy and stars, the prize supplied by skinflint designs was a 1930's verikool light. the picture that accompanied the comp was of a beautiful green light fitting. i was really chuffed to have won and i dont want to sound ungrateful but boy was i dissapointed. i do understand that it is old but i was not expecting it to be covered in rust and scratches. it really is un-useable. if the picture hadnt been of a perfect light i wouldnt have expected that. is there anything i can do? its not on that these companies make their prizes sound or look much better than they actually are is it?

Comments

• Rossco_Clarko
    Options
    Wow- that sounds awful! I have no advice but can completely understand why you're disappointed. That's like receiving a book that's been read a million times with a coffee stain on.
  • BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did they state that the prize would be new or secondhand in the terms? If I was you, I would check then contact them. Usually prizes are brand new unless stated. I too would be disappointed - let us know how you get on x
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • claire21
    claire21 Posts: 32,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 November 2013 at 2:51PM
    Options
    I think I posted this comp, if I am right it was a reclamation light eg old ?

http://www.skinflintdesign.co.uk/
    Think this was the company?
  • nelie
    nelie Posts: 1,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've had a look but I can't find any terms of the original competition. You could ask them if the light was supposed to be as the picture.

:( Such a shame when it turns out to be not what you expected! Hope you get it sorted! x
    December Wins: £300 worth of board games, £500 Tesco Vouchers Best Win in 2023: £500 Tesco Vouchers
  • yoeydavis
    Options
    i think it said that it was circa 1930's which is fine; they say they liked its english history and the fact that it wasnt new. if they were so proud of it why did they put a picture of a perfect sample instead of the pile of rust that it really is. if they had been honest from the start i wouldn't have minded. they have suggested i return it.
  • nelie
    nelie Posts: 1,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    December Wins: £300 worth of board games, £500 Tesco Vouchers Best Win in 2023: £500 Tesco Vouchers
  • hannonle
    hannonle Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The close up pictures in the gallery do show it being rusty. Is it worse than in the pictures?
    Thank you to everyone who posts on the competitions boards. You all rock!
  • surfboard2
    surfboard2 Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think this may be it...

1378510_10151622872927062_2006913461_n.jpg
  • betterlatethannever
    Options
    If the pic that simply_tash has put up is the one, then its an immaculate item and i'd expect the prize to be so, too.

Maybe a gentle email to start, then a link to this page, if you get nowhere.
    Its not good publicity for the company.

(BTW- that light is really lovely) :)
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure