We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Maintaining Anonymity
SammyLee
Posts: 31 Forumite
in N. Ireland
Hi
I live in a neighbourhood with a long-standing problem with a barking dog noise nuisance.
Myself and my neighbours are reluctant to pursue a noise abatement complaint with the local Council because the Dog Owner is a thug with (how should I put this) alleged links to certain organisations.
The way the Enforcement process works is that the Offender gets notice of the name and address of the complainant at formal notice serving stage. I may as well paint a target on my back!
My alternative approach is to anonymously approach my neighbours via a mail shot and ask they forward their details including logging of the noise to a PO Box I will setup.
My intention is to then forward all complaints in unison to the Council so the serving of the Notice carries multiple names and it's not just a case one complainant singling themselves out.
I notice that the Royal Mail will disclose the forwarding address/owner of any PO Box on request so my question is there any way you may be aware I can preserve my anonymity!
I appreciate my mail shot may receive no response but I have to try something.
Thanks
I live in a neighbourhood with a long-standing problem with a barking dog noise nuisance.
Myself and my neighbours are reluctant to pursue a noise abatement complaint with the local Council because the Dog Owner is a thug with (how should I put this) alleged links to certain organisations.
The way the Enforcement process works is that the Offender gets notice of the name and address of the complainant at formal notice serving stage. I may as well paint a target on my back!
My alternative approach is to anonymously approach my neighbours via a mail shot and ask they forward their details including logging of the noise to a PO Box I will setup.
My intention is to then forward all complaints in unison to the Council so the serving of the Notice carries multiple names and it's not just a case one complainant singling themselves out.
I notice that the Royal Mail will disclose the forwarding address/owner of any PO Box on request so my question is there any way you may be aware I can preserve my anonymity!
I appreciate my mail shot may receive no response but I have to try something.
Thanks
0
Comments
-
Why not simply use an email address?0
-
Hi
Not everyone has a PC and I need a physical address so any interested neighbours can forward me their completed noise logging forms before I pass same on (all together) to the Council.0 -
and you are asking the same as you want to avoid
would you send all your complaint to a random hidden behind a PO box?0 -
First you say you and your neighbours are reluctant to go to the council ,then you want to send an anonymous mail shot, have you discussed any off this with your neighbours .Hi
I live in a neighbourhood with a long-standing problem with a barking dog noise nuisance.
Myself and my neighbours are reluctant to pursue a noise abatement complaint with the local Council because the Dog Owner is a thug with (how should I put this) alleged links to certain organisations.
The way the Enforcement process works is that the Offender gets notice of the name and address of the complainant at formal notice serving stage. I may as well paint a target on my back!
My alternative approach is to anonymously approach my neighbours via a mail shot and ask they forward their details including logging of the noise to a PO Box I will setup.
My intention is to then forward all complaints in unison to the Council so the serving of the Notice carries multiple names and it's not just a case one complainant singling themselves out.
I notice that the Royal Mail will disclose the forwarding address/owner of any PO Box on request so my question is there any way you may be aware I can preserve my anonymity!
I appreciate my mail shot may receive no response but I have to try something.
Thanks"Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"0 -
I know the PO Box is a longshot and to answer your question it's unlikely I would send my own details to an anonymous address.
That said how else do attempt to engage support without becoming the known figurehead for some kind of public campaign against the offender?
I've spoken to the neighbours either side of me in passing about the issue but I need to be careful about publically promoting this and being known as the organiser.
There's safety in numbers and the intention is for the Council to receive multiple noise logging forms collated by me meaning any abatement notice carries the names of many residents rather than just one- which is what is putting us of in pursuing currently.
As a background the Council has already received six complaints (including one from me) and therefore written to the Dog Owner six times warning him that a complaint has been received and unless he makes an effort to control the noise nuisance a formal abatement notice may follow (at this stage the complainants details are not released).
However if the noise continues and the complainant chooses to begin monitoring which is later cooberated a notice issues carrying the complainants name and address.
This has put off all six complainants proceeding and the Council has dropped the complaints due to lack of evidence.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
