🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

If you have a secured loan and then sell your house to buy a new house

Options
view
view Posts: 2,242 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Does the company that gave you the money for the secured loan take the full amount you owe once you sell your house?

We have a loan [secured] we were thinking about selling in the next year or so, and buying another house, but am worried that the company we have the loan with will ask us for the full repayment in full of the loan when we sell the house, thus we would have no deposit for the next house.

Ideally we would like to sell the house, buy a new house and continue with the loan.... advice would be really helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    in general you have to pay off the secured loan.
  • petermb_2
    petermb_2 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    if you have enough capital left in the new property you would be better off amalagamating the secured loan in your new mortgage. It should certainly be the cheaper option.

regards

Peter
    I am a former Broker, former IFA and former compliance officer, for my sins.

However, I have since seen the light.
  • chickpee
    chickpee Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    We took a secured loan with us when we recently moved but the loan company treated it as an initial application with all credit checks etc before they agreed that it could be transferred to another property.

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family