If I am unemployed from age 30-67, is there any way to get full state pension?

Options
I doubt if there is, but if I don't work from age 30 to government retirement age (think its 67), I would only 1/4 of the state pension right, as I've worked around 10 years (age 20-30)

Is there any way I can get the full state pension when I turn 67?

I've heard of something called voluntary contributions? how much would I need to pay?

Comments

• cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you been claiming child benefit for any of those years?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    no, claiming no benefits except jsa for 1 year
  • Road_Hog
    Road_Hog Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    no, claiming no benefits except jsa for 1 year

If you're claiming the dole (JSA) then you get you NI stamps paid, which means your pension contributions are paid.

You could supplement your income by pretending to be Roma and sell the Big Issue.
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 13 November 2013 at 8:49AM
    Options
    I doubt if there is, but if I don't work from age 30 to government retirement age (think its 67), I would only 1/4 of the state pension right, as I've worked around 10 years (age 20-30)

You would also have 3 years of starter credits for the financial year in which you turned 16 and the two subsequent years.

For a list of the National Insurance credits available, see this page.
    Is there any way I can get the full state pension when I turn 67?

Firstly, get a State pension forecast to see how many qualifying years you have.

To increase years, you can make voluntary Class 3 contributions for recent years or become self-employed and make class 2 contributions for subsequent years (or purchase Class 3 contributions for those years in the future).

You could also consider claiming Jobseekers Allowance credits only (ie no payment).
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    You mentioned 'unemployed' rather than 'not working and staying at home'.

If you are really unemployed i.e. claiming jobseeker's allowance, then your NI contributions will be credited.

If you're staying at home looking after children then you also get credits for your NI contributions for the time you're getting Child Benefit. This used to be called Home Responsibilities Protection, something else now, but the principle remains the same.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • mania112
    mania112 Posts: 1,981 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The other point to note is that we are going through some changes with our State Pension system.

In 37 years time, there's no knowing what the landscape will look like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure