engagement ring hatton garden or birmingham?

Options
My daughter and partner have been looking at engagement rings in Hatton Gardens in London. They have been impressed at the prices compared with High Street, although they appreciate you have to be careful where you shop.
They are planning to go again soon having thought over what they have seen but I have been wondering if it is worth the effort of going up to the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter. They live in Cambridge. My daughter is a bit doubtful as from the websites she isn't convinced its cheaper although I always thought it was.
Budget is about £3000 and probably going to have a single diamond.
Would be interested in opinions from anyone who has shopped for diamonds in last year or two. Thank you

Comments

• swarby_2
    swarby_2 Posts: 51 Forumite
    edited 12 November 2013 at 9:24AM
    Options
    I bought an engagement ring last week, single stone form hatton garden with a budget of £3000!! I used a wholesale diamond dealer who had been recommended to me by my brother in law. They're a small family business and the service was excellent. I then got it set in a custom designed ring (that my fianc! got to sit with the designers and draw) I'd definitely recommend doing it this way. For a start it's a really enjoyable process if you do it together and secondly you get a lot more for your money and it's exactly what you want. The two companies we used were

Www.diamco.co.uk

And

Www.hydeparkdesign.com

I'd highly recommend them both (you need to contact diamonco before you go. It's not a shop so you can't wander in off the street.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    the jeweller quarter in birmingham is very much on a par with hatton garden IMO.

Its spread over a district and has many many outlets ranging from workshops to retail and also covers different styles of jewellery.
    There is the traditional selection of rings or stones that can be mounted in whatever design you wish and also there are several jewellers that sell a more ethnic type of jewellery so there is a wide variety to choose from.

Having been to hatton garden at the weekend and knowing the jewellery quarter well I would say they are similar....personal preference for me kicks in towards Brum but thats because I know it better!

Price wise they are similar and as always never take the ticket price...always ask for the best price and you should get around 20% discount.

Dependant on what you want in terms of stone,you might want to consider the second hand market which offers a great price and there are a few good shops for this more towards the centre of birmingham....but having said that,there are some wonderful second hand shops in burlington arcade in london too.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Vote here for Brum the jewler that made my rings was fantastic OH was able to design the ring himself and choose the stones. When he went back for the wedding band they had my design on record and could match the shape perfectly.

Also having it on record is handy for insurance purposes
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • nightsky224
    Options
    My engagement ring and our wedding rings came from Hatton Garden, place called Jade. They were lovely and we got a fantastic price.
    One key thing when buying jewellery is to compare prices and ask for a discount.
    Recently married and loving it x
  • moneylover
    moneylover Posts: 1,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My engagement ring and our wedding rings came from Hatton Garden, place called Jade. They were lovely and we got a fantastic price.
    One key thing when buying jewellery is to compare prices and ask for a discount.

what styl ring did you get, did you buy wedding and engagement at same time? I wish you all the best for a lovely wedding day.
  • My engagement ring is vintage/ family heirloom and an unusual shape but having a new wedding band made to fit it in Hatton Garden. They will take the measurements of mine and will keep it for a week to shape the band around it... so you don't necessarily need to buy both at the same time.
  • sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    Options
    They should look at both then decide
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They will take the measurements of mine and will keep it for a week to shape the band around it... so you don't necessarily need to buy both at the same time.

The place we used did this. Leaving the engagement ring also acted as a deposit for the wedding band.

Like somebody above said, designing your own ring is actually quite fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure