Claim back National Insurance or stopping future payments / leaving Country

Options
Hi, my brother has been working in the U.K for 16 years and will be leaving the country soon for a non E.U country. From what I can tell, they will not refund the money back and he will have to wait until his retirement age of 70 in another country!

I will be leaving U.K for good in a few years and I guessing my retirement age will be like 75, since the government want people to work till they die. Is there anyway to stop paying N.I or claim back on future payments?

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Did your brother not have access to the NHS, and other state-provided benefits whilst here? NI isn't a private pension, it's an income tax under a different name.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,006 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apart from not working or earning below £149 per week then no. NI does not only pay for / entitle you to your pension but also, amongst others, sickness and unemployment benefits. Providing you have 10 years worth of contributions you will receive some form of state pension.
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/refunds-complaints/claimback.htm
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/leave-uk.htm
  • woofy85
    woofy85 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Well I always thought income tax was to pay for the the health e.t.c Btw, I am British and paid my fair share of tax and rarely never been sick, same as with my brother ( maybe a cold or food poison after a kabab on a night out) . Never been on benefits.

Personally. I think it's unfair apart from the NHS funding, if you don't that's your own opinion. The fact people people will be forced to work to 75, put in around 55 years. I would be more comfortable with them removing stealth tax and just increasing income tax.

To me that is the government stealing peoples money to pay for debts and the bubbly/, knowing most people will die around 80, if your lucky. Yes, I am having a rant.

Anyway case closed.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    woofy85 wrote: »
    Personally. I think it's unfair apart from the NHS funding, if you don't that's your own opinion. The fact people people will be forced to work to 75, put in around 55 years. I would be more comfortable with them removing stealth tax and just increasing income tax.

To me that is the government stealing peoples money to pay for debts and the bubbly/, knowing most people will die around 80, if your lucky. Yes, I am having a rant.

Anyway case closed.

At least get your facts right if you want to rant.....:eek:
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Each of you will get a pension in due course, having paid in more than ten years.

What is so unfair with that? What will you live on in retirement in your 'new' country if you don't have a pension?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure