care

Options
Morning All,

Advice please, I own the home my partner and I live in, I have made my will stating that my partner can live in our home until she turns her toes up, after I have gone to heaven maybe! then my family can do as they wish with the home.

My question is if I had to go into an old folks home would we have to sell home to pay for my care and where would my luver stand in this situation?

Smudger

Comments

• PuzzledDave
    PuzzledDave Posts: 185 Forumite
    edited 8 November 2013 at 7:44PM
    Options
    You would probably be better off in the house buying & renting forum... but I'll take a stab at this (confession: I AM NOT AN EXPERT, THIS IS MY BEST GUESS).

It's going to depend greatly on her legal status in the home is she:

A) Your legally married/civil partnered spouse ?

B) A tenant who pays you rent and has (at least at some time) signed a contract to lease the home with you ?

C) A lodger who pays you rent ?

D) A permanent guest ?

(A) provides him/her with protection... from there on down she has less and less, (D) is basically totally exposed to being chucked out whilst the house is sold with little notice, even (B) will provide protection for a few months at most I suspect.

Want to give him/her the best security ? Get married... it's the entire purpose of marriage - protection of assets such as a house.

Should also mention, have you had your will professionally written ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure