pension help needed

Options
can anyone please tell me the difference between a terminal bonus and a final bonus in relation to a section 226 with-profits prudential retirement plan, started in 1977 and due to mature shortly. The Pru claim that only a final bonus is to be added to the annuity, but i have bonus statments from the 80s and 90s, clearly showing a terminal bonus, and then a final bonus are to be added to the basic annuity. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    can anyone please tell me the difference between a terminal bonus and a final bonus in relation to a section 226 with-profits prudential retirement plan, started in 1977 and due to mature shortly.

Nothing. Modern name vs old fashioned name. That is all.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • shipleylion
    Options
    Thanks dunstonh for your reply, but can i just be clear that the bonus statments i have from the 80s and 90s show the pension will be made up of a basic annuity, plus an annual bonus, then a terminal bonus, then a final bonus which is in lieu of profits made after the pension begins, the statments show that the terminal and final bonus's are two different additions.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The terminal bonus is the final bonus. It can accrue (or reduce) as it goes along but gets reviewed again on maturity and may have a further increment added to it.

There are three bonus types. Reversionary (now known as annual), terminal (now known as final) and special bonus. Companies may have presented them in different speak over the years but that is what they boil down to.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • shipleylion
    Options
    Whats happened to all the posts regarding dunstonh.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whats happened to all the posts regarding dunstonh.

Some information on this would be useful from the forum team, to stop speculation and further disruption to the wider site. We have had speculation from touting for business to abusive exchanges, and some indication would be helpful together with whether this is temporary or permanent.

Removing spammers and obvious trolls is a good and necessary service, but a long term helpful poster who gives much useful information with no indication why seems odd. Which is not to say that I didn't have several antagonistic exchanges with him, as many others have, it's just that his presence certainly added something to this forum.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    I see the banner at the top of each page now has "Lest we forget" on it.

Gone but not forgotten!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport