We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Power NI...first bill since increase...

WOW!!!

I knew there was an increase due, but I'd forgotten how big...cost of a unit jumped from £0.145 to £0.171....YIKES!

Just added £27 to my quarterly bill!

Wonder will it come back down in the future?......:eek: don't think so
No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere

Comments

  • tommie
    tommie Posts: 380 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    http://www.budgetenergy.co.uk/Products-and-Pricing.aspx

    ... and a Keypad should save a quid
  • warmhands.coldheart
    warmhands.coldheart Posts: 3,757 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 1 November 2013 at 1:35PM
    On the subject of electricity and power/fuel in general. Why is it that there seems to be a real NIMBY'ism culture here in Northen Ireland when it comes to alternative energy? Be it Wind Turbines, Fracking, Incinerators, Gasification Plants...... you name it, NIMBY !
  • tommie
    tommie Posts: 380 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    so is it MIMBY or NIMBY ? :think:
  • tommie wrote: »
    so is it MIMBY or NIMBY ? :think:

    The Latter............ or probably the former if your from Ballymena!
    Corrected now for the benefit of others
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    On the subject of electricity and power/fuel in general. Why is it that there seems to be a real NIMBY'ism culture here in Northen Ireland when it comes to alternative energy? Be it Wind Turbines, Fracking, Incinerators, Gasification Plants...... you name it, NIMBY !

    Oh I don't know; there's a bloke 5 doors away from me whose got his entire front roof covered in solar panels. I also see quite a few small wind turbines on my occasional voyaging.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    I know a few farmers with planning permission to build large turbines.

    The problem is, they can't afford to finance the project and are waiting on others coming on board and them revenue sharing.

    Good money for what is a small piece of land.

    I think planning are pretty easy going with turbines. No need for solar.

    Seems the biggest problems are with things that burn.
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    GlynD wrote: »
    Oh I don't know; there's a bloke 5 doors away from me whose got his entire front roof covered in solar panels. I also see quite a few small wind turbines on my occasional voyaging.

    My entire south facing roof is covered with solar panels - i have had them a year now and by my calculations the income I receive, combined with the free electricity I get, and the reduced bills as I use less from the grid has meant that my electricity costs have been nil this past 12 months. I realise that the set up cost was quite a lot but if it means free electricity for 20 years then I think it was a good investment
    John
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    irishjohn wrote: »
    My entire south facing roof is covered with solar panels - i have had them a year now and by my calculations the income I receive, combined with the free electricity I get, and the reduced bills as I use less from the grid has meant that my electricity costs have been nil this past 12 months. I realise that the set up cost was quite a lot but if it means free electricity for 20 years then I think it was a good investment

    I would be inclined to agree with you. If you're planning to stay in the gaff for the next 20 years and you had to dosh to spare in the first place it makes perfect sense to eliminate the electricity bill. I certainly think it is a more productive way of investing the money rather than sticking it in an interest bearing account or bond/ISA whatever.

    For me: I eliminated my mortgage. Some people may think that wasn't the best use of my money but the absence of that outgoing payment every month is a tremendous weight off my mind and makes life much more enjoyable. I know now what I have is my own.

    If I had my way I'd have solar panels, a wind turbine a septic tank put in and my own well dug. That way the only bill I'd have every month for utilities would be a small amount of rates to the council for bin collection.

    Have to wait until I win the lottery to get that lot though. Of course when I do I won't care about monthly outgoings so I'll probably never get round to doing all these things anyway. :p
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I agree
    No plans to leave this house at all - bought it for cash so like you able to enjoy the place without monthly expense of mortgage - gas heating installed in 2005 which was another wise move I think.
    John
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    edited 1 November 2013 at 9:21PM
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    I know a few farmers with planning permission to build large turbines.

    The problem is, they can't afford to finance the project and are waiting on others coming on board and them revenue sharing.
    []

    This seems to be the problem. If they were able to produce enough electricity they would be self financing. However, it seems they're not actually that good.

    Tommie and motor man - have you seen the new one at Annaghanoon? I'm told it cost £500,000.

    Some thoughts

    20 year life - annual investment 25,000.
    interest 5% - interest charges 25,000

    Maintenance etc? I'm told running costs are low. Anyway, 50,000 a year plus other costs.

    Therefore, approx 300,000 units at 17p each to cover capital and interest charges alone - 300,000 kW/h - so very roughly, it has to generate 900 kW/h all day every day to cover finance costs alone. Most of those little turbines you see on hill farms etc are rated 15kW - per hour of useful wind that is - 30% of total?


    Maybe someone in the trade could tell us the economics of wind power.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.