Please help me find an outfit!

Options
Hello!

I need an outfit to wear to an aunty's 70th birthday party on Saturday. It is in our local village hall, lots of people I know and may involve barn dancing (I don't ever do any other sort, I can only dance if there are directions!)

The problem is I own 2 pairs of jeans and numerous T shirts. That is it. I have a pair of walking boots, slippers and 2 pairs of plimsolls. So I know I will need to go out tomorrow and get something better.

I quite fancied wearing some boots, leggings and a dress. I haven't worn a dress since 1998. I have no idea how to choose boots or which ones go with a dress.

The only place I ever have a peep in and actually like the designs is White Stuff.

As an example, I like these:

http://www.whitestuff.com/3-4-slv-teaser-dress-prod407313_gunmetal/

http://www.whitestuff.com/winning-dress-prod407290_dk_chinese/

I like these boots but couldn't justify the cost:

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20341833

Would they look silly with a dress?

I haven't a clue what I am doing so would be grateful for any help and advice!

Thank you.

Comments

• Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,156 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    P.S I am 38, 5 foot 7 and a size 16-18. Black hair and dark eyes, if that makes a difference to what colour to wear!
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    I like the first dress - but I'm not much of a dressy up person either!

Incidentally, Asda has some verrrry similar boots for £40 ;)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • thehappybutterfly
    Options
    I like the purple dress! Im a real colour fan.

I like the boots but I would personally wear a heeled boot with that dress.

Can I make a suggestion re boots? Clarks are without doubt excellent quality whereas Asda isnt. I bought biker boots from asda and they leaked after a few months. I dont mind sm clothes at all along wuth Primardi but I dont skimp on footwear. £90 is a fair price for boots IMO.
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with thehappybutterfly, don't skimp on the boots. If you buy a decent pair they should last a few years. I got a lovely pair from Shoon last year and they still look like new.

I like both dresses but would go with the pinky one for a party. white stuff stuff (!)is good quality so that should last too.
    I say treat yourself and enjoy:D
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    edited 1 November 2013 at 1:15PM
    Options
    I had the opposite - my Schuh boots dropped to bits after 6 months but my Asda ones are still going (and they got used for a LARP event too *chuckles*). Do love my Rocketdog biker boots though.

I'm just a skint skinflint :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Fuzzy_Duck
    Fuzzy_Duck Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 November 2013 at 12:23PM
    Options
    I have those boots! I got mine for £60 though from another website (and then I had them as a Christmas present so very MSE!) If it helps your decision they have lasted me years and I think they're well worth it.

I don't do heels and wear those boots frequently with dresses and leggings. I love the dresses you've linked to and think they'd be fine with flat boots as they can easily be glammed up or dressed down depending on your preference.

Agree with flissh that the pink one would be best for a party. Whilst the black one would be very wearable I think it might be a bit too much black with your black hair and black boots (although you could still brighten it up with accessories).

EDITED TO ADD: I think it was this site I got my boots from, and they are indeed cheaper!

http://www.bellsshoes.co.uk/womens-shoes-c2/boots-c6/clarks-orinoco-jazz-black-leather-tall-buckle-detail-ladies-boot-p2280
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It also depends on how many times you may wear the outfit - if you think you might the black dress more than the purple one that is a reason to choose it. If you won't be wearing the boots much maybe buy the cheapest, but think about better if you fancy them for regular wear.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Frith
    edited 1 November 2013 at 8:14PM
    Options
    It took me HOURS! I was determined I wasn't going to go home until I had got everything.

I tried loads of dresses on and the ones I liked on the internet were all wrong, too tight around the bum but you could have fitted another person down the top. Also White Stuff had about 3 size 18 dresses and the changing rooms had rolls of dust on the floor!

In the end I got this one:

http://www.whitestuff.com/amazon-kaftan-prod405492_sky_blue/

I tried the Clarks boots on and they were grand but I couldn't do the zips up thanks to my chubby little legs. So I went all over the place for fat leg boots and eventually found some in M and S (£20 off!)

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Footglove-Panelled-Riding-Boots-Stretch/dp/B00DCHPOK4?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_8&nodeId=3154822031&sr=1-8&qid=1383332844&pf_rd_r=17ETGSA2ZVR2QFYARWRA&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=321381407&pf_rd_s=center-3&currentColor=Black

That just left a necklace and I looked in every charity shop and clothes shop I could. Finally went into Fatlip (which I think might be an independent shop) and asked the lady for her advice and have a necklace with several silver circles with inserts in the colours used in the dress. Like this but in blue:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=231334966904299&set=pb.230163900354739.-2207520000.1383333167.&type=3&theater

Tired out now!
  • shegirl
    shegirl Posts: 10,107 Forumite
    Options
    Lovely outfit :)

And,being daywear,you can get lots of use out of it too.I love the colours!
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
  • Frith
    Options
    Phew, thank you, Shegirl !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts