First Time Buyer - Small Default

Evening All,

I'm looking at buying my own place using the new first time buyers mortgage scheme, as my credit file has recently got into good shape with one exception of a default of £390 from British Gas over a disputed bill 4 years ago.

How much of an issue is this going to cause me?

I'm planning to have my credit card paid off before applying to, but will this default end all my chances?

Thanks

Replies

• GMSGMS Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    If you mean the Help to Buy scheme then yes the default will almost certainly mean a decline.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    37.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I agree with GMS.

I can't see acceptance at 95% with, or without, Help To Buy - Mortgage Guarantee.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Is the default settled?
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • ACGACG Forumite
    22.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Help to buy is there to overcome a lack of deposit, not adverse credit.
    I would say you need a 10% deposit really if not 15%.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • adamckadamck Forumite
    78 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you think yours is a small Default... i cannot even complete the submission for approval due to a £19 Default from Vodafone 5 years ago that i can't seem to get removed.
    At the moment, this £19 error is stopping me from getting on the property ladder.
    Wish Vodafone would at least acknowledge my letters and emails!
    So yes... a Default will stop you from even submitting the approval in branch.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals