Pain Relief

Not asking for medical advice.

But what natual methods do you guys find helpful for pain. I used to make up a chili paste for use on shoulders etc. But since I've damaged the nerve, it's having no effect whatsoever.

I used a TENS machine and hot water bottles now. I've even got to blowing a hot hairdryer onto the affected area.

But I'm looking for nice natural things to try :)
4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j

Comments

• Acupuncture with someone who practices the traditional eastern style rather than trigger point often offered by physios etc. Look for someone BAC registered.

Biofreeze

Physiocreme

Sport's massage & good physiotherapy

Mindfulness meditation
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Thnx Rachel, I do go for a deep tissue massage on a weekly basis. But couldn't even get my arm up on the table on Friday cos I was so siezed up. It's the first time my massage hasn't helped :(

Biofreeze doesn't work on me. Think it's cos of the nerve damage. Works on my SI joint but not the shoulder.

Haven't tried physiocreme - off to google.

The local chinese herbalist that I used to go to closed down a couple of years ago.

Great ideas though :beer:
  • Have you actually been to the docs, too?

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • mazza111
    Have you actually been to the docs, too?

HBS x

Yes hon, already getting help from doc, but was looking for more natural things for day time use. I have a mother and daughter who are both disabled, so don't like taking pain killers etc during the day in case I need to drive (which is quite often.) So looking for more natural ideas that won't make me drowsy etc :)
  • mazza111
    Should also have added, 5 weeks of physio was going great up until Friday. Then bang, woke up Friday morning and couldn't do much else. I'm back at physio tomorrow, so hoping she can come up with some ideas :)
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can personally recommend this - only thing that made any real difference for me and the person doing it is very very good

http://ketteringsnappers.freeforums.net/thread/81/matrix-energtics
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Just thought I'd check ;) *quietly slides soapbox out of way with foot*

My mum has RA and says those stick-on heat pads are good because they last for hours and stay put.

Do you eat plenty of protein? Muscle recovery etc etc.

Hope the physio helps. If I can find anything else I'll pass it on.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • mazza111
    Thnx guys.

Lemontart, I have book marked that to have a look through tomorrow. Had my night time pills and now my brain is mush. Thank you!

HBs- I appreciate you asking that hon. Yes, loads of protein, too many carbs :o Yes agree that the heatpads are quite good, and if they go cold a little rub of them seems to revive them. In fact, I meant to get some more when I was out today, but forgot about them. Will get more tomorrow as I've only 2 packs left indoors :)
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You are welcome Mazza, lovely guy and no touching no tablets etc, last year I had a session and the pain then went completely within couple weeks when nothing else worked, went earlier this year and has got pain down to level I can live with which is definitely an improvement. If you do go for something like that do let us know how it went. I am all for alternatives to chemicals.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Well, it sounds naff, but I do a lot of 'meditative' sort of stuff. Relaxation, and ...so wing that makes a lot of my friends cringe when I say say it...acceptance. I have chronic pain, have had for ten years with no relief in sight and while I cannot lie and say I sail through it like a boat in calm waters (there is a lot of frustration) I find accepting and even joking about some of it helps.

Although lots of things really practically help (lots of bodywork therapies help me at least short term, but are financially draining and have other problems for me with getting to them) coming to terms with things really help.

For free ( ish) I'd say day to day...be comfortable.....uncomfortable clothes might not hurt, but add a layer of discomfort you just don't need. Keep a good temperature, too cold you'll get more stiff, too hot you'll swell....

Keep your mind occupied.....read, watch something engrossing, chat to people, think outside yourself :)

Have good things...scents etc. even if you don't believe in aromatherapy or colour therapy. Keeping uplifted by having things you enjoy helps when pain drags you down. :)

And finally, keep badgering the doctor. Of the pain is really restrictive might be worth asking about pain clinics or whatever. Doesn't mean we don't have responsibility to help ourselves too.

Hope it heals soon :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport