PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Doing one thing properly

Options
A post on another thread about the usefulness of focusing on just one task at a time made me wonder if it would be useful to have a thread about doing 'one thing properly'. The original poster was talking about focusing on childcare for little ones and keeping everything else going at a maintenance levelnot getting tangled up in trying to do it all at once.

I know that when I feel swamped and miserable (and swamped has been the over-riding theme of 2013 for me!) it's because I've let everything pile up on me big time and I feel trapped and frozen, unable to do anything, but when I focus on doing one job properly and become quite blinkered in getting it finished I can move forward. Does this ring bells with anyone?

The biggest problem for me right now is that I'm drowning in paperwork. I need to get it sorted, filed, shredded, dealt with for once and for all and I have a gigantic backlog. I need to keep day to day life going while focusing on this until it's done.

I'm tackling a foot-high pile of miscellaneous paper before lunch and will post when it's gone. Is anyone else trying to stay on track and get a specific job done towards a single goal this afternoon?

B x

Comments

• nonnatus
    nonnatus Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    Options
    I find it essential for my Peace of Mind to see things through to the end, or tidy up loose ends. It makes me feel safe.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I tend to start things but not finish them off.

However, this morning I was cleaning the windows and stopped to wonder why the blind cords tangle so much and realised it's because they're far too long. When i finished cleaning, I untangled the cords, pulled the blinds down to see where a good 'stop-point' would be and then knotted and trimmed the cords. I then went and did the same at the other windows.

i'm thrilled with myself - such a simple job and it really didn't take that much time but i finished it through to the end, instead of, perhaps, doing one window and leaving the others or just untangling the cords (which was what took the most time to do) and leaving the cutting for another time. :)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't know about "doing one thing properly" but one thing I like to have done and to keep on top of is the laundry.

Generally I put a load on every day and that way I can handle it - my SIL waits till she has about 5 loads and then does it all at once. She says that's how her mum did it - but I am guessing her mum had a twin tub where you did do that.

It isn't always put away, it isn't always ironed but generally clothes are washed within a day of them going in the laundry bin.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    VJsmum,

I am the same with laundry. I really get stressed trying to get it all dry if I don't so a load a day.

I struggle to do one thing at a time and have to focus, am very easily sidetracked. I can start out hoovering the upstairs and end up with the contents of the wardrobe being sorted out.

I can put any job I really don't like doing off for ages too , with one nonsense excuse or another. I love the flylady 'anti- procrastination day'
    it's kind of like a final warning, makes me get it done.
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I should never have posted that! Today has been a struggle and a half. I got half way through the job, was sick (sorry if tmi :o), fell asleep, woke up feeling better, then finished the pile of papers. It took me about three hours longer than I'd intended but, given that it's done, that's an achievement. :) I've also shredded the stuff from the pile that needed shredding, discovered half the papers that I needed to find prior to sorting out a solicitor's appointment to remake my will and created four new folders with stuff that had to be kept. It sounds quite a lot written down.

Staying on task is easy if it's something I love. I've just got to learn to love this...

Well done on doing the blinds right through to the end, Chris. :T Really satisfying.

B x
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Broomstick paperwork is such a difficult job to deal with when it gets out of control. Well done for doing it.

I really struggle with doing and completing one thing. I have tried so many times and get so distracted. On the occasion I have managed to do it the difference is amazing.

I'm also dreadful for procrastination......

Also mega long lists of jobs I want to do in one day make it and impossible task sometimes.

I think once I return from holiday I'm going to set myself one task a day and stick to it....well try to. Only when it's done can I do something else.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    One thing at a time is definitely the way to go for me, I learnt the hard way, emptying all my food cupboards at the same time, same with wardrobe and chest of drawers, same with freezer, only to end up in despair and overwhelmed by what I had started. Now its one cupboard, one drawer or one shelf at a time and I find I can get it done with no stress.
    Slimming World at target
  • Moneysaverme
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread!

I haven't posted for a very long time but I do read and this idea resonated with me. I try to get too many things done at once, get overwhelmed and then have a mini-meltdown where it all seems impossible and I then usually retreat to a dark corner with some choccie to get me through the trauma. This means Nothing gets done!

So one thing at a time, done properly, through to the end with no distractions or going off on random tangents is a great idea. And one that is hopefully easy to follow.

I've already started today and done batch cooking. My next thing to do properly is to clean the hearth and log burner and sort the firewood. Sod the rest of the house and other million tasks.

Off I go....

M x
    Weight loss 2017/2018 - 49 lbs
  • lovefullshelves
    Options
    I have a list pad, and I write days of the week with the jobs to be done each day. Next week already has phone calls and work to be done on three days! (being self employed I have to be fairy organised - anyone who reads the 5 pleasures will understand that typo!) There is NO pleasure like crossing things off that list!
    Last weeks list took up 2 pages there was so much to do, but it was done and crossed out with the red pen :D
    This week we are going to take parsnips to auction! Celeriac to 2 different wholesalers and a market stall, and I have a nasty feeling I'm gonna have to dig artichokes!
    One thing at a time though and cross it off!
    2013 NSD 100. CC2014CC- £31.50/£135
    2014 NSD 86 so far - May 20/21
    2014 G/C spend £741.55 so far May £107.99/£91
    Debt Free - 30.05.13 Emergency tin - £1000
    June 23 - 9NSD
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think I need to have a daily list with just one thing on it! I haven't stayed focused this weekend. :o But I suppose there is still quite a long evening ahead of me and I've given in and decided to have the central heating on for a few hours so it will be warm to do more paperwork!

B x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport