NHS pension

Options
cloudninety
cloudninety Posts: 41 Forumite
Hi

I am in the NHS pension scheme but only work part-time. I have accrued the equivalent of 0.66 of a year of service thus far. Obviously this is very little but it all adds up eventually and I don't want to lose it. The problem is that I am very likely to need to leave the NHS in the next few months for health related reasons. (I would hope to rejoin later on when I am better but this is unlikely to be within a 12 month period.)

According to the info I've seen if you leave with less than 2 years' pensionable service, you can't defer your pension. I was wondering if buying additional pension (lump sum payment) might allow me to keep the pension I have thus far accrued?

It would cost me £1850 per £250 of additional pension purchased which sounds like an okay deal to me (though I think there is a reasonably good chance of doing a bit better by putting it in a private pension so the main reason for doing it would be if it helped me keep my accrued pension).

Comments

• ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    From what i have heard and been advised is- Never withdraw from NHS pension, no private pension can beat it.

Also AVC's might not be that cost effective - it is probably better to get a personal pension with that capital.
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    When did you actually join the scheme (as in the date)?
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    According to the info I've seen if you leave with less than 2 years' pensionable service, you can't defer your pension. I was wondering if buying additional pension (lump sum payment) might allow me to keep the pension I have thus far accrued?

As far as I'm aware it's 2 years of qualifying membership as opposed to 2 years of pensionable service so the date you joined is more important as you are a part-time worker.

If it's less than 2 years since you joined, I don't think purchasing Additional Pension will help. However if you have transferred in a private pension this will qualify you.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not take medical leave if you can't work? Would protect you and the pension?
  • Drp8713
    Drp8713 Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Usually, you cant have a refund if you have a transfer in, so maybe find a personal pension with no early exit / transfer out charge, pay in a lump sum then transfer it in. Make sure the NHS will accept the transfer first.
  • cloudninety
    Options
    From what i have heard and been advised is- Never withdraw from NHS pension, no private pension can beat it.

Yes, that is true which is why I am trying to see how I can keep it.
    When did you actually join the scheme (as in the date)?

I joined last September. Though I first joined a few years ago on a short maternity cover contract.
    jem16 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware it's 2 years of qualifying membership as opposed to 2 years of pensionable service so the date you joined is more important as you are a part-time worker.

Thanks Jem16, I have had another look and you are right so that may help a little.
    atush wrote: »
    Why not take medical leave if you can't work? Would protect you and the pension?

I really wish I could but I don't qualify for very much paid sick leave and if I don't earn enough money I won't qualify for my visa renewal next year.
    Drp8713 wrote: »
    Usually, you cant have a refund if you have a transfer in, so maybe find a personal pension with no early exit / transfer out charge, pay in a lump sum then transfer it in. Make sure the NHS will accept the transfer first.

Unfortunately when I originally first started I didn't know about this (rubbish HR dept) and so although I have a private pension which I could (and would) have transferred, you only have a limited time to do the transfer.
  • jem16
    Options
    I joined last September. Though I first joined a few years ago on a short maternity cover contract.

Thanks Jem16, I have had another look and you are right so that may help a little.

Best to clarify your date of joining then as this is what will matter.
    Unfortunately when I originally first started I didn't know about this (rubbish HR dept) and so although I have a private pension which I could (and would) have transferred, you only have a limited time to do the transfer.

Normal time is 12 months but you could always ask.

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Pensions/4192.aspx
  • cloudninety
    Options
    I first joined in 2010 when I was doing my fixed term contract which was only a few months long. Then unfortunately I couldn't get another post until last Sept.
  • jem16
    Options
    I first joined in 2010 when I was doing my fixed term contract which was only a few months long. Then unfortunately I couldn't get another post until last Sept.

Yes but you will need to check if 2010 is the date of your qualifying membership as obviously you appear to have left and then rejoined.
  • cloudninety
    Options
    I think it must be 2010 because I was contributing to the pension scheme at that point. Yes, then I left and only rejoined last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure