We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Deferred pension question

Options
2»

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 October 2013 at 1:21AM
    Options
    Then in retirement there are no increases (as you have them paid by the state directly).

People retiring under the current state pension system who have had deferred pensions revaluing by fixed rate can find this is not the case.

They find that on reaching state pension age that their COD (the revalued GMP) exceeds the pre 97 ASP - they can receive no inflation related increase on their pre 88 GMP and nothing above 3% on their post 88 GMP until the ASP (which revalues yearly by CPI, formerly RPI,) exceeds the COD.

For a pensioner the whole of whose GMP relates to pre 88 employment, this means that they see no increase on the GMP part of their Scheme pension for a number of years since only the non GMP part of the pension will be inflation linked under Scheme rules.
  • xylophone
    edited 18 October 2013 at 1:34AM
    Options
    The OP left the scheme in 1985.

The rules for revaluing excess over GMP are here

http://www.barnett-waddingham.co.uk/news/2012/07/revaluation-for-early-leavers/

Date of leaving
    Revaluation
    Before 1 January 1986
    No revaluation on benefits in excess of GMP.

This would seem to indicate that the OP will receive the revalued GMP plus the original excess only when she comes to draw the pension?
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh for heaven's sake will someone please kill off this whole pensions farrago? How the devil is anyone expected to make rational decisions when even the simplest problems get caught in a web of complications, explained in glutinously incomprehensible English?

Come to think of it, I suppose defined contribution pensions and personal pensions (including SIPPS) are the simplifications required. It's just a pity that employers and employees contribute so little to them.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • xylophone
    Options
    caught in a web of complications,

Unfortunately the situation for people with GMPs is complex.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,808 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh for heaven's sake will someone please kill off this whole pensions farrago? How the devil is anyone expected to make rational decisions when even the simplest problems get caught in a web of complications, explained in glutinously incomprehensible English?

Pension simplification went some of the way of doing that but the early goals of really simplifying it were lost when it was realised that you can't just abolish things overnight and apply the changes retrospectively. You have to allow them to be phased out over time.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • xylophone
    Options
    You have to allow them to be phased out over time.

Exactly so and it should be remembered that GMP rules apply to those employed between 1978 and 1997 - they'll be around for a long time yet.
  • lorryw
    lorryw Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have just received a reply to my letter to the AA. No explanation, simply confirmation that the amount of pension I will receive IS £2786.70 not £501 as previously quoted.
    Thank goodness I found the letter from 1986!
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lorryw wrote: »
    I have just received a reply to my letter to the AA. No explanation,...

As my wife approached sixty, it took her Final Salary scheme five goes to get her statement of deferred pension right. Or, to be more precise, after five goes they stopped changing it.

She gets roughly the same annual pension as you. Maybe they have a magic fall-back number for cases where they are baffled themselves?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,731 Forumite
    Options
    lorryw wrote: »
    I have just received a reply to my letter to the AA. No explanation, simply confirmation that the amount of pension I will receive IS £2786.70 not £501 as previously quoted.
    Thank goodness I found the letter from 1986!

Excellent news!!

And just think what would have happened if you lost that letter. Remember this next time someone calls you a hoarder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport