Council haven't collected my 2013/14 direct debits!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
3 replies 1.1K views
cheshirecat80cheshirecat80 Forumite
1 Post
Hi everyone - my first MSE post :)

I've been expecting Liverpool city council to collect my direct debit payment since April, as they did without problem last year, but they have failed to do so.

I sent them an email explaining I needed to start paying as I live alone and don't have much money to spare each month as it is. Instead of receiving a reply, they just sent me an email with an attachment, an amended statement showing a £40 per month increase in my payments to cover the shortfall. No text in their email and no apology. I've just paid my first instalment in September.

Is there anything I can do about this? I appreciate Councils need every penny they get, but surely they can't promise to take payments from those of us who pay council tax, and then break that promise?

The leader of the council has just cried poverty in the press and claims they may go bankrupt in the near future, well quite frankly I'm not surprised if they can't even collect the money ready that's and waiting for them!?!

Thanks !

Replies

• jacques_chiracjacques_chirac Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the direct debit setup? Can you not pay online or over the phone in the meantime?
  • arbroath_lassarbroath_lass Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Could you not pay the outstanding amount that's been sitting uncollected? That should reduce your monthly payments back to the normal amount. Or use the money you haven't paid to cover the £40 increase?
  • Could you not pay the outstanding amount that's been sitting uncollected? That should reduce your monthly payments back to the normal amount.

And then pay the remaining monthly payments by standing order instead of direct debit, to make sure it doesn't happen again?
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News