MSE News: John Lewis to offer two-year guarantee on electricals

"From next Thursday, all electrical and home technology products sold by John Lewis, will come with a two year guarantee..."
Read the full story:

John Lewis to offer two-year guarantee on electricals

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/brighton-hove/con1item.cgi?file=*ADV0054-1011.txt

Q. I've heard that under European Union (EU) law I'm allowed a two year minimum guarantee on goods. Is that correct?
    A. EU Directive 1999/44/EC states that all European Union member states must allow consumers to make a claim for faulty or misdescribed goods under their consumer rights for a minimum of two years. English law already allows you to make a claim for up to six years from the date you bought the goods and for up to five years in Scotland. Therefore if you buy any goods from any other EU member state, you can assume that you can make a claim for faulty or misdescribed goods for at least two years after. See the 'Buying goods - your rights' leaflet for more information.
  • Daza
    Daza Posts: 3,936 Forumite
    John Lewis to offer two-year guarantee on electricals

I thought you were already covered for 6 years under the "Sales of Goods Act 1979"
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Please, does anybody know if this covers Kindles?

I am about to buy one and if the JL warranty is for two years, I will get it from them.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• Will they use the 2 year warranty to avoid matching prices as the other supplier wont normally offer the 2 years?
    2010 Posts: 5,351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    All their TV`s already have a 5 year warranty.
  • tiggybear
    tiggybear Posts: 15 Forumite
    My expensive TV failed at 11-mnths, 14-mnths and 18-mnths. All three incidents were dealt with very quickly under the free 5yr warranty and the last repair was £900 (obviously covered by JL) which would have written off the £1400 TV had it only had a 12-mnth warranty.
    It's not just the 'legal rights' either that are important - customer service is paramount and JL are so good with this.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    dukeofankh wrote: »
    Will they use the 2 year warranty to avoid matching prices as the other supplier wont normally offer the 2 years?

no, they pricematch tv's with other retailers who do not offer 5yr warranty's when you pricematch via the website not sure about instore
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    dukeofankh wrote: »
    Will they use the 2 year warranty to avoid matching prices as the other supplier wont normally offer the 2 years?

They did with us.

They said it had to be like for like and so would not price match on the basis that the other store did not have the 2 year warranty.

That was a while ago, so maybe they have changed their policy now.
    Always worth asking.
  • More reason to not buy anywhere else.JL is my first stop when buying large electrical items they have never let me down
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure