LGPS valuations

Options
Question Timers prepare! For the the time is fast approaching - the results of the LGPS triennial valuations are a-near! The concept of an actual pension fund (and lots of 'em) may confuse Michael Gove ('you wot? there ain't no blank cheque?'), but I'm sure there are Tory boys and girls on this board who are far more astute than His Excellency. So... any predictions?

Me?
  • The switch from RPI to CPI uprating has proved more handy than envisaged. (And if any active or retired member starts whinging about the supposed 'unfairness' of this - !!!!!!...)
  • Wage stagnation has proved pretty handy.
  • Investment returns have been moderate, though not necessarily worse than assumed last time around.
  • Future service rates static, or perhaps ever so slightly higher given the next point.
  • Past service rates increased by up to 5% (those deficit recovery plans are a'kicking). There may be some bodging going on here though.
  • In England, northern funds, in general, to come out better than southern ones.
  • The 2014 scheme ain't gonna help much.
PS - my predictions may or may not be influenced by insider information ;)

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hyubh wrote: »
    - the results of the LGPS triennial valuations are a-near! The concept of an actual pension fund

What happens, at least in theory, if one of the local authorities "goes Detroit" i.e. bust beyond all rescue and pension pot badly underfunded? Does central government have to rescue it or does it become a charge on the Pension Protection Fund?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 October 2013 at 11:33AM
    Options
    The charity I worked for in my last job went bankrupt earlier this year due mainly to the deficit in the regional LGPS; historically a few employees, although not me, had been able to participate in the LGPS scheme and a large deficit had developed in relation to those employees pensions, attributable to the charity, which made the charity insolvent.

So will be interesting to see how that LGPS's funding position is now.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SnowMan wrote: »
    The charity I worked for in my last job went bankrupt earlier this year ... historically a few employees ... had been able to participate in the LGPS scheme and a large deficit had developed in relation to those employees pensions

Presumably the other employers in the scheme will have to make up the deficit?

What happens if ever they are broke too? I know they have taxing powers but presumably there are some limits on how much Council Tax they can squeeze out of the population?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 October 2013 at 1:10PM
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »

What happens if ever they are broke too? I know they have taxing powers but presumably there are some limits on how much Council Tax they can squeeze out of the population?

The amount involved was very very small in relation to the size of the local LGPS scheme but ultimately the local authority and other participating employers pick up the tab for the charity's share of the deficit. Ironically it was a cut in local authority funding for the charity and then freezing of their reduced grant, so that the grant became lower in real terms that also lead to the insolvency. A sort of natural justice in some ways but not for the people relying on the services of the charity.

The LGPS schemes are not protected by the Pension Protection Fund (as far as I am aware) as they are treated as statutory bodies. So ultimately the LGPS deficits are the responsibility of the relevant local authority. In the event of a massive deficit which could not be dealt with through increasing council tax or reducing services, I'm not sure what would happen, although in that unlikely scenario you imagine central government would have to help out.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • woolly_wombat
    Options
    What happens, at least in theory, if one of the local authorities "goes Detroit" i.e. bust beyond all rescue and pension pot badly underfunded? Does central government have to rescue it or does it become a charge on the Pension Protection Fund?

There was a report on the state of LGPS funding in yesterday's Times (behind paywall):
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/banking/article3930848.ece

Extracts:

"Some local authority pension funds are so poorly funded that they are in a “death spiral”, raising questions about the retirement promises to millions of council workers.

A damning analysis for the Centre for Policy Studies reveals gross inefficiencies among the 101 local authority pension funds and suggests that they are being run for the benefit of vested interests.

An estimated £860 million a year could be saved by more pooling of assets and mergers between the disparate funds, according to the report’s author Michael Johnson, a former JP Morgan investment banker and secretary to the Conservative Party’s Economic Competitiveness Policy Group."

"The weakest funds are having to liquidate assets simply to meet pension promises as they fall due, rather than using new contributions or the income from investments.

“With no realistic prospect of recovery, they are probably in a death spiral heading to an unfunded status,” Mr Johnson said."

"Funds with the lowest funding ratios in 2010 included Waltham Forest, Brent, Havering, Hackney, Croydon and North Yorkshire.

Contrary to most members’ expectations, the schemes are not guaranteed by the Government and are not even covered by the Pension Protection Fund, the lifeboat scheme for schemes whose sponsoring employers fail.

That raises the question of what would happen if a council were declared insolvent. Mr Johnson said that he had asked the question of many experts but no one could tell him. He said that in extremis the Treasury probably would shoulder the liabilities, taking the fund’s assets in-house, as it did with the Royal Mail Pension Plan."

The Centre for Policy Studies publication entitled 'The Local Government Pension Scheme: opportunity knocks' was published yesterday and can be downloaded here:
    http://www.cps.org.uk/publications/reports/q/ref-567/

WW
  • FatherAbraham
    Options
    hyubh wrote: »
    In England, northern funds, in general, to come out better than southern ones.

Interesting; why?

Because statisitcally unhealthier Northerners die younger? Nope, can't be, because unhealthy active members can sometimes retire early.

Warmest regards,
    FA
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Council tax is, typically, less than 1/3rd of council income so everyone else would get squeezed as well:
    Business rates
    Central Gov (ie other tax payers)
    Asset sale
    Charges for Council Services
    Fines
    Borrowing (ie future tax payers)
    etc etc
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "The weakest funds are having to liquidate assets simply to meet pension promises as they fall due, rather than using new contributions or the income from investments.

Isn't that what funded pension schemes are supposed to do?
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A damning analysis for the Centre for Policy Studies
    I can't say I read the actual report as entirely following the general line of the press release, even if it's the author's quotes centre stage in it. Indeed, given the Centre for Policy Studies is an expressly Thatcherite 'think tank', the author seems curiously statist in his views (proposals 5, 6 and 7). Moreover, the cashflow thing (proposal 4) is just silly - the fact pretty much every LGPS fund (excepting the closed Environment Agency one) has a positive cashflow says nothing about the liabilites accrued and being accrued. For *that* you need 'financial health indicators' like 'funding ratios', however 'nebulous' ('coz they're the best we have!).
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Interesting; why?

In (very) general terms, when the previous Conservative government allowed funding levels to fall, southern councils were more prone to take the possibility up with depressed (*) employer rates (keeping in mind that employer, unlike employee rates, are set locally in the LGPS). The problem is, if the funding level in a DB scheme drops (public or private sector), it's very hard to get it back up.

(*) And yes, it's all relative.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport