sleep apnea?

morganedge
morganedge Posts: 1,320 Forumite
edited 30 September 2013 at 10:39PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Does anyone here have this? Is it serious?
I *think* I have it.

Basically, every few nights whilst i'm asleep, I can't breath. I'll be sleeping, i'll be aware that i'm not breathing even as i'm asleep, and i'll try to breath but I can't. At some point as I feel i'm about to die, something 'kicks in' and I have a sudden intake of breath as I awake.

It seems guaranteed to happen if I sleep on my back. Less so if I sleep on my front/side.

I'm concerned that one day my body won't be able to 'recover' and force me awake so that I can breath, and....ya know....die!

Is that sleep apnea?
Anyone here have that?

Comments

• morganedge wrote: »
    Basically, every few nights whilst i'm asleep, I can't breath. I'll be sleeping, i'll be aware that i'm not breathing even as i'm asleep, and i'll try to breath but I can't.
    If you were asleep, you wouldn't know you weren't breathing. But you could be waking up when this happens I guess.
    Sleep apnea is something that happens many times a night I think though.

Anyway, make a GP's appointment. They will be able to help find out if it is sleep apenea.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    morganedge wrote: »
    Does anyone here have this? Is it serious?
    I *think* I have it.

Basically, every few nights whilst i'm asleep, I can't breath. I'll be sleeping, i'll be aware that i'm not breathing even as i'm asleep, and i'll try to breath but I can't. At some point as I feel i'm about to die, something 'kicks in' and I have a sudden intake of breath as I awake.

It seems guaranteed to happen if I sleep on my back. Less so if I sleep on my front/side.

I'm concerned that one day my body won't be able to 'recover' and force me awake so that I can breath, and....ya know....die!

Is that sleep apnea?
    Anyone here have that?

We're not supposed to ask for (or give) medical advice, so the safest option is to see your GP.;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Humphrey10 wrote: »
    If you were asleep, you wouldn't know you weren't breathing. But you could be waking up when this happens I guess.
    Sleep apnea is something that happens many times a night I think though.

Anyway, make a GP's appointment. They will be able to help find out if it is sleep apenea.

could be night terrors? I'd still advise to seek a dr appointment
    when life gives you lemons, stick them in your top & pretend you have pointy boobs.
    When life gives you melons, stick them in your top & say you've had a boob job :)
  • Humphrey10 wrote: »
    If you were asleep, you wouldn't know you weren't breathing.

Hmmm...not sure how else to explain it. Are you sure about that?
    I'm aware that i'm not breathing, but i'm unable to open my eyes as I desperately try to gasp for air. (which I'm unable to do until my body forces me awake)

I've also suffered from what I believe is sleep paralysis in the past, and i'm well aware of everything going on around me, but , I can't move.

So are you certain that I wouldn't know I was not breathing if I was asleep??
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hmmm...not sure how else to explain it. Are you sure about that?
    I'm aware that i'm not breathing, but i'm unable to open my eyes as I desperately try to gasp for air. (which I'm unable to do until my body forces me awake)

I've also suffered from what I believe is sleep paralysis in the past, and i'm well aware of everything going on around me, but , I can't move.

I suffer from sleep paralysis and night terrors too.
    If you have any health issues you are concerned about you should see your GP.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • morganedge wrote: »
    Well, yes, because you're asleep.
    Anyway go see your GP.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It sounds like my experience but with sleep apnoea, but obviously needs to be professionally diagnosed, probably with a sleep study. I understand the availability of these are patchy depending on area.
  • morganedge
    morganedge Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    I've made an appointment now :)
    For what it's worth, it would seem that my blood pressure is through the roof, too!
    (i'm young, don't smoke, exercise lots. Strange)
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Sleep apnoea is a very serious condition.

The lack of oxygen entering the blood stream can leave the sufferer at extreme risk of many complications including strokes and heart disease.

The sleep disturbance can also make people very prone to nodding off during the day - which also has obvious safety implications especially if the sufferer has to drive a lot or operate heavy machinery.

Risk factors include being overweight and high alcohol consumption and smoking.

The Dr can diagnose sleep apnoea and sleep clinics can help. If you suffer - then your blood will show decreased oxygen levels.

On the other hand most sufferers don't know they do it - they just feel tired and lethargic, and fall asleep a lot etc. What you're describing does sound like night terrors.

BUT - sleep apnoea IS a serious condition, and dangerous to you and those around you if you do do a lot of driving! You really need to go and see the Dr if you think you might have it.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've made an appointment now :)
    For what it's worth, it would seem that my blood pressure is through the roof, too!
    (i'm young, don't smoke, exercise lots. Strange)

Good! It's for the best :)
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure