Paying back tuition fees

Options
My employer currently pays tuition fees for me to attend a foundation degree course one day a week. I am considering leaving my job to go to another job which I have been offered. If I were to leave my employment, I would have to pay back my tuition fees which the company have already spent on me, which is in the tune of a few thousand pounds.

What I want to know is, does anyone have experience/knowledge of how urgently my employer will seek to claim the money off me? Will they want in money back in one go or will I get away with only paying back X amount a week or something? And will they actually push to get the money back? I've heard that some of these tuition fee agreements are so clumsily worded that they are not really enforceable. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    andy444 wrote: »
    My employer currently pays tuition fees for me to attend a foundation degree course one day a week. I am considering leaving my job to go to another job which I have been offered. If I were to leave my employment, I would have to pay back my tuition fees which the company have already spent on me, which is in the tune of a few thousand pounds.

What I want to know is, does anyone have experience/knowledge of how urgently my employer will seek to claim the money off me? Will they want in money back in one go or will I get away with only paying back X amount a week or something? And will they actually push to get the money back? I've heard that some of these tuition fee agreements are so clumsily worded that they are not really enforceable. Any help appreciated.
    This will normally be taken in full from the last pay if paid monthly or weekly as soon as you give notice.

If the final pay is less than what you owe they will ask for cleared funds before your last working day

Or it is whatever you agreed to when you signed for the training?

Or you could try to negotiate a payment plan?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 September 2013 at 10:33PM
    Options
    Only your employer will realistically be able to answer these questions. However, please do bear in mind that your employer probably didn't pay for your tuition as a gift to you. They probably looked at it as investing in you for the benefits to you AND their company.

No judgement on you, but a team I work in once had a chap who had almost £2,000-worth of training in one year. At the end of the year he left and got a job elsewhere based on his newly-acquired qualifications. The bosses pursued him for the training costs as they had invested £2k in this guy (in preference to training for other colleagues) and, after a year or so had no qualified team member nor anything to show as a return for their investment after the fellow left for another job.

It also had a long term effect on authorisation for any one individual's training provision as a whole - and not in a good way.

I know it's probably hard - but try and consider your options in these terms. Your current employers must think highly of you in order for them to have funded your training.

I'm sorry if this isn't terribly helpful - just putting my experiences out there.

Good luck and best wishes to you - whatever you choose to do. xx
  • Denning.
    Denning. Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Options
    andy444 wrote: »

The 'tying' terms are generally unenforceable, ie, you are obliged to work for them for X years after qualifying.

Leaving whilst in the middle of study is another matter, and less clear cut.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure