PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to get stains off white UPVC sills?

Options
Can anyone tell me what to use on my outside window sills? They seem to have been marked with insect droppings. I've used Jif cream on an old dishwashing sponge/scourer. Then I bought UPCV cleaner. I've got the original 'droppings' off but it's left a brownish stain on the white sills. Is there anything that will remove them?

Comments

• Living_proof
    Options
    I too would like an answer to this as house martins have pooped continually over one sill in my new house and although removed, a brown deep stain seems to be left. Any answers please?
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    An older thread with suggestions might help.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=558021&page=1
  • philbostavros
    Options
    an internet search will bring up a multitude of upvc cleaners - I got mine from a local window company (you're bound to have one not too far away?). I have also seen it in several pvc product stockists (guttering, fascias, soffits etc).

Phil
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just had a new roof on my conservatory and they cleaned all my frames with a general purpose solvent cleaner (he said from most hardware stores) and they've come up like new.

I used to use that Astonish oven cleaner paste :o bit messy though...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use any whitening toothpaste as for me it gets all those bird markings off my upvc window sills. After i have rinsed the window sill i then use Mer Car polish but any liquid car polish will do. I do that twice a year as i only then need to use a damp cloth to get all the muck off.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bleach....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    bleach will get the marks off - but eventually turn Upvc yellow.

I use one of those magic sponges from the poundshop or Aldis. I ALWAYS have some as they are the only thing that gets crayon or felt tip pen off paintwork (even emulsion).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure