A question for a dentist (asking out of curiosity not for medical advice)

Part of my gum over/around a fully grown wisdom tooth is currently swollen, I've seen a dentist and I have antibiotics. If it's still painful when I have finished the antibiotics I will go back to the dentist, don't worry.

I was just wondering why it hurts more first thing in the morning, is it due to blood pressure in my head being the same level as my chest at night as I am lying down?
I'm not taking painkillers for it. Apart from in the morning, it only hurts when I brush it or poke it.

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    That's right!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Try rubbing your gum with ' a few drops of mustard oil+ salt' , do this with your fingers.
    seb
  • My sympathies - I've had a long running battle with slow growing wisdom teeth.

Things that might help:

Corsodyl or the cheaper Superdrug equivalent antiseptic mouth wash.

Rinsing tooth before you go to bed with warm salt water.

Oil of Cloves on a cotton bud dabbed onto tooth (not gum).
  • Toothsmith wrote: »
    There is one situation in the mouth that oil of cloves might help. That one possible situation happens so rarely, that I'm not even going to mention what it is for fear of it being misinterpreted.

For every other situation, it has a far bigger chance of harming than helping. It should not be sold, it should not be bought and it should not be used in the mouth.

Im intrigued, please expand :)
    :hello:
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    It burns, destroys nerves, can cause allergic reactions and can result in permanent damage and alot of pain. There are alot of teeth that have had to be removed because people have dabbed oil of cloves on and burnt all the way through the gum to the bone underneath. it also interacts with alot of medications and with blood clotting and diabetes

http://www.wellness.com/reference/food/clove-eugenia-aromatica-and-clove-oil-eugenol/dosing-and-safety

Never dab anything onto gums or teeth to allieviate pain, see a dentist.

almost all wisdom tooth pain is food and plaque getting caught under the gum, effective cleaning is the key to preventing pain.
  • brook2jack wrote: »
    almost all wisdom tooth pain is food and plaque getting caught under the gum, effective cleaning is the key to preventing pain.
    I am 100% sure that is the problem - however I don't see how I can ever effectively clean the tooth, it's like 1/3 - 1/2 covered in the gum which I assume makes a pocket where stuff can get caught under it. I have a single-tuft brush for it which should help in future though.

The tooth doesn't hurt at all, it's the gum that hurts when I poke it.

I can't clean it much at all at the moment anyway - it's too painful when I put any pressure on some parts of the gum covering it.
    I'm going back to the dentist on Thursday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure