Hoping there is light at the end of a car finance tunnel

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
6 replies 1.2K views
shelleyannsshelleyanns Forumite
10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
Hey everyone just hoping someone can offer some advice on a situation I am currently in. I voluntarily terminated my car finance agreement and handed my car back after I had paid the 50% . The finance company accepted my request to return the vehicle and wrote to me to say I had to pay a amount for the settlement of insurance which to me as fine as it was less than my monthly amount so I had a bit of a bonus.

I arranged for the car to be collected. I told the gentleman I would meet him at my local shopping center as it was easier for him to get transport there and I was there anyway. He collected the car from me and all the correct documents. Filled in this form to say no damage ect and drove off. I asked him whether in his opinion there was anything wrong with the car that would mean me paying anything and he said no. I had the car two years and It was immaculate inside and out.

A week later I receive a letter to that I have to pay £135.00 for 3 dents to the car that were certainly not there when I had it or were noticeable by the guy collecting the car. They sent pictures but you cannot see or make out anything let alone its actually my car. I phoned the company and said that when I handed the car over there were no dents in the car whatsoever and I checked my car regularly and washed it by hand so I would have noticed. The guy said he would reduce the bill to two dents and £70 and I said no because they were not caused by me.

Now the car was picked up by a man from a company, it was then driven from Birmingham to Shropshire then handed over to another company who then sent the info to another company who then sent the bill to me. How do I know they hatvnt caused the damage enroute. On the form it also states that no documentation was sent with the car when I sent back the handbook, v5 document and service history. The tyres tread measurments were also wrong I pointed this out to him and he said obviously they havnt been filled in so whats to say the rest of it has been filled in right. I am not a liar or a chancer if the damage was there I would have owned up and paid it but the car was not damaged in anyway that was not from generally wear and tear.

What can I do? The guy on the phone tried to get me to "confess" to the damage but I flatly refused and said that I accept no liability for the damage and don't agree with their assessment of the vehicle as it left me in perfect condition. Is there anything I can do? Do I have to pay? Paying is accepting I did the damage and I really didn't. I feel I am being done over here and taken advantage of. The fact he dropped the price makes it sound fishy to me.

Replies

• DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you haven't caved in and paid for the dents etc that wasn't you fault. Im surprised you weren't asked to sign a form ( like what you get when you rent a car ) showing where dents are and the tyre tread depth.

For anyone who has experience of cars on finance is this the norm ?
  • oldhandoldhand Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what size the "dents" were but I cant see £135 being anywhere near enough to fix them if they did exist,sounds like they hope you would just hand over the money.
  • Thanks for the response guys.

I signed a form when the guy collected the car but he had not put any dents on there but said the car was to dirty to check properly but the car had been washed so thats not true. No mention of any dents or marks or concerns about the car when he picked it up. None whatsoever. I have had a previous finance car which when i handed it back had dents, scratches, marks, no spare tyre and wasnt charged a penny.

As i gave the guy my keys he asked if i needed a lift anywhere as he was going to meet his mate at a local fast food restaurant before he took the car back. Im not accusing him but what i said to the guy on the phone is i am adamant there was not a mark on the car let alone dents, the guy who picked it up made no marks to say there was either yet it gets to your company and all of a sudden it has 3 dents in it over 10 mm. As far as i am concerned i was the first point of contact there have been 2-3 other handlers of the vehicle after me so why am i getting the blame and having to pay when they cannot prove it was me.

As i said he said he would arrange a payment plan but thats me admitting liability when i know there were not dents in the car.

If i am in the wrong i would admit it but i know that they are not being truthful and this makes me angry as i never missed a payment and took really good care of the car. Im just going to write to them i think and say i dont consent to the charge they are saying i have to pay, i disagree with their assesment of the car and the damage and certainly the price and i do not accept liability for the damage as it was and wish them to prove the damage was caused by me and not by the person who drove the car from me to their garage or by the people who assessed the car or anyone else who has touched the car. The form they filled in is incomplete and incorrect so whats to say the damage isnt. The pictures prove nothing and i dont even know if its my car. Im not admitting to damage i have not seen with my own eyes.

Will this be a court matter if a refuse to pay? I dont have a credit rating anymore anyway so im not concerned about that. I had to default on a loan and credit card as i no longer could afford them. I pay the bank a pound a month until my circumstances improve.
  • CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Well you haven't caved in and paid for the dents etc that wasn't you fault. Im surprised you weren't asked to sign a form ( like what you get when you rent a car ) showing where dents are and the tyre tread depth.

For anyone who has experience of cars on finance is this the norm ?

Within our leasing company (we own it), we ask preferably for all dents to be removed prior to vehicle disposal, and it will be checked before one of our two drivers carts the vehicle away. Anything not signed for, we're lumbered with.

I will add, that we lease own vehicles for use within our own trading group, and also to individual taxi drivers (we own the office), so we're not exactly in the leagues of the large leasing companies.

That quote, even to get a PDR man in, seems very cheap, IMO.

CK

CK
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Please note: All posts on Coronavirus legislation refer to England unless specified otherwise.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
  • @ ck That's the thing there were no dents in the car. When the gentleman came to pick it up he mentioned a scuff on the wing mirror which he didnt make a note and that's it. He signed, i signed. Both walked away. I didnt think no more of it as i was fully satisfied the vehicle was in perfect condition and i would have no further problems. If i knew there were dents in the car and had paperwork or was told i couldnt hand the vehicle back unless dents were fixed then i would have done that because i wanted rid of the car but there wasnt.
  • CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ ck That's the thing there were no dents in the car. When the gentleman came to pick it up he mentioned a scuff on the wing mirror which he didnt make a note and that's it. He signed, i signed. Both walked away. I didnt think no more of it as i was fully satisfied the vehicle was in perfect condition and i would have no further problems. If i knew there were dents in the car and had paperwork or was told i couldnt hand the vehicle back unless dents were fixed then i would have done that because i wanted rid of the car but there wasnt.

In that case, you are not liable for anything.

This is the purpose of the forms, and if they're not completed properly, it's not your problem, and I fail to see with the evidence provided, how they'd win this in court.

CK
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Please note: All posts on Coronavirus legislation refer to England unless specified otherwise.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals