Need to save/make £3,000 for wedding in 7 months!

Options
2»

Comments

• pixtotts wrote: »
    in reference to cash to clothes do you have a "Cash4Clothes" (as new user I cant post a link but google them there is a list of all of their stores at the bottom of the page) near you ? They also take shoes, soft toys, electrical items broken or working ( small! no white goods) but check with your local one to see what they accept ours had several things on their signs crossed out (like blankets) as they personally don't accept those items but other cash4clothes places?stores? may still accept them...

We learnt of them recently when discussing clearing out loft out with someone, she had taken all of her husbands clothes to one when he died. We nearly took all of our items to the tip! Would have been such a waste because all of the clothes were still perfectly wearable if a bit out dated ( a lot were my baby clothes and school uniform... I'm 24 now!!). All of them items are recycled and the clothing is resold across Europe (they have awesome little maps showing you where its all going to go to :D)

So in tidying out our loft we were able to get 2 black bin bags of clothes, 4 vhs players, and 1 broken hifi to take with us. They pay by weight, a bag of clothing/ 10KG clothing is £5, got £11.30 for all our items... that we nearly just threw out! Your not going to make your millions but for items you might other wise throw away definitely worth it!
    x

Oops must have been writing this as you wrote your last post! sorry for telling you about something you already know...
    also ... Next clothing apparently sells well on Ebay especially childrens if you have any of that might be worth a try, I'm planning on having a go once I get time

Hi Pixtotts,

No problem, you've gave me more detail about it. Im hoping to get something that can help pay for some of this wedding with 15 bags of clothes, I forgot I have a lot more electronics that I can sell as well. Ill try and sort this out today and post how much I receive.

Thanks
    Aiden
  • moominlaura
    Options
    Hi Aiden,

if you are thinking of switching your gas and electric, have you thought about utility warehouse?

It is a member type company so you pay something like £2 a month and can pay £10 for a cashback card BUT you will certainly save a lot more.

We joined in December last year and I was a bit dubious at the time but ended up being the best decision. We have our gas, electric, home phone, broadband and my mobile all under the one account and our bill last month was £119 for them all. bearing in mind we are a household of 4 and our gas and electric used to be £156 alone! Just make sure you submit your meter readings once a month......

Good luck with the saving, we are in the same boat!:)
  • michele-p
    michele-p Posts: 822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, if you are planning on swapping utilities check out topcashback and quidco. We recently got £80 cashback to swap to Scottish power, which came out top of the comparison for us anyway. It's also good to check anything you buy online to see if they have cashback, in the past 3 years we have made over £1000 just from buying what we usually would buy.

You don't get paid huge amounts, but also consider mystery shopping. Even a visit to a restaurant which is paid for, but no extra fee can be a boost to you if you are saving hard.

Good luck, I'm sure you can do it. We didn't have any presents at our wedding, we asked for a donation to our honeymoon spending money, which really helped.
  • ammiLy
    ammiLy Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A few things that could help:
    1) if possible consider switching your bank accounts for money (I think it's First Direct that give you £100 to switch to them?), switch to someone who pays you interest such as Halifax or Santander (123 account is £2 a month, but pays you interest and cashback on some bills, which can work out £10 a month into your account!).
    2) Use cashback sites (such as Quidco as mentioned by others) and/or cashback credit cards, especially since you will need to buy things for the wedding (remember to check T&Cs and pay back in full!).
    3) If your phone contracts are up for renewal, consider SIM only plans and keep your old phone either until you can afford to get one on contract or buy it as it still works out cheaper (in most cases) than to sign up to a lengthy and expensive contract.
    4) Upcycle old things instead of buying new, use freecycle and similar websites to get (and give!!) things you (do not) need. yes, they're used, but it's a good way to give another child toys that your son will not miss, and get some toys that are new to him. This can be more valuable that selling things by weight, but choice is all yours!
    5) Recycle for points or cash! There was a story in the news (a few years back) about a couple who collected Tesco points through the recycling facilities (can be found at most big stores) to cover their honeymoon! Also can recycle old mobile phones and printer cartridges (check on comparison websites for best deals).
    6) Be smart for Christmas and plan in advance for gifts. Get them from sales, or even better - make them! It's perfect time to make soaps and christmas puddings or anything infused (cooking oils, flavored alcoholic drinks (think skittles vodka :T ), vanilla sugar) as these things need time to cure. Also true for any birthdays or other special occasions between now and the wedding :)Or if you or your other half are really good at cooking, offer friends/family to cook for their special occasions, make cakes, cupcakes etc for a small fee.
    7) If you have your birthdays or special occasions coming up, kindly ask anyone who is planning to give you a gift either do something wedding related or give it in cash.
    8) You mentioned you have a spare room, could you get a lodger in? Check how much you can earn from it before paying tax. If you live in a decent place, maybe you could rent it only for holiday period for tourists? Again, check legal side of things.
    9) There's a guide here on MSE listing all the things you could do to earn a little bit of cash, such as ironing, dog walking etc - have a look.
  • piglet25
    piglet25 Posts: 927 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Facebook definately, type in your local area and put selling or sale next to the name and you will be amazed how much trading is done on there and the amounts people will pay for stuff, plus they will collect it from you with the payment xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure