Cheapest place to buy dried mushrooms

Options
I bought 6 packs of dried mushrooms (the only 6 on the shelf) when one of the Asda stores I visited had them for 25p each. They are £1.99 for 25g or £2.99 for 65g.

I love making mushroom risotto and you need the mushrooms dried as you add boiling water to them to hydrate them and use that liquid as amazing stock. Down to my last packet:(

I can go to an Asian or Chinese supermarket if required.

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I bought 6 packs of dried mushrooms (the only 6 on the shelf) when one of the Asda stores I visited had them for 25p each. They are £1.99 for 25g or £2.99 for 65g.

I love making mushroom risotto and you need the mushrooms dried as you add boiling water to them to hydrate them and use that liquid as amazing stock. Down to my last packet:(

I can go to an Asian or Chinese supermarket if required.

I didnt realise that these were so expensive as I never buy them and dry my own, usually when I can get them reduced. Its very easy to do and saves a lot, You might want to consider trying this.
    Slimming World at target
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a huge tub of Belazu dried Woodland schrooms from costco when it was on offer for £6.

We dont like the texture of them, but they are great for adding flavour if you whizz them up whilst dry.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On a similar theme: I don't use dried mushrooms but recently realised how easy they are to freeze. Last week I got a large family pack as they were best value and froze all I didn't have an immediate plan for. I slice them and open freeze on a dinner plate. Then I bag them up and they're brilliant for adding to casseroles and pasta sauces.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I bought some from a Paris supermarche years ago at a great price vs the UK....and they are still lasting. White wine, fresh mixed mushrooms plus a Knorr veggie stock pot make a great risotto!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • caroc
    caroc Posts: 935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 September 2013 at 11:00PM
    Options
    I dry mushrooms in my airing cupboard. I wash them, spread them out on kitchen paper in a colander and wedge them in a corner. When they snap in half after about 4-6 weeks and they are so dry they hardly weigh anything, I put them in an airtight jar. I've only ever used them in the slow cooker after that though.
    Still virtually alcohol free since 4/1/15. (10 Xmas/ New Year/Birthday drinks)
    It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound in weight. Target 13 lbs weight loss. 18.5lbs lost 2nd May - 28 September.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure