Friend of friend- taking tip off table. What should I have done?

Was out for dinner the other night- mostly buffet restaurant, but there was a little table service for drinks / clearing up the table. Divided the bill by 7- it was about £16.65- most of us rounded up to the nearest pound (£17) and 6 of us paid by card. The 7th person paid with a £20 note, then when the change was brought (over £5), he pocketed all the change! I didn't say anything at the time as it was a friend of a friend, but I thought this to be totally rude! Any thoughts as to what I should have done / should do?

Comments

• jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    He probably did not even realise since his change should have been £3.35 had he of taken just his change your tip would have been £1.65. If it had been a noticeable amount then I would have said. Or if you had already had a conversation stating you we're all putting in a bit of a tip.
  • I know it wasn't meant to be a huge tip--- we said £16.65, or just round it up to £17 so they get at least something! He knew what he was doing as I suggested giving him £3 back myself- taking his cash, and putting it all on my card. He said that they would change his note for him. I thought nothing more of it until he pocketed the difference!
  • You should have said "Aye you tight wad"!
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • Slowhand
    Slowhand Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    I think you were all tight wads. A tip of ~£2.50 for a party of seven is just miserable. The staff wont miss that when it's shared out.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think you could have said "Oh - I think there's a misunderstanding - that's not all yours - the rest of us were leaving that as a tip, but if you want your exact change back you need to ask the waiter to split the £5"

If you can manage it, your tone of voice should convey that *of course* he's only picked it up by mistake, he's never think of nicking your money. (as this worked out that you all paid £16.65 for your meal, he paid £15 for his...)

I do agree, though, that 35p each as a tip is a bit mean,
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • I normally would tip more than 35p, but as it was a buffet where we got our own drinks (they delivered the glasses), and got our own food, there really wasn't much call for a full on 10%+ tip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure