Lgps 2014

Options
With only about six months to go before LGPS 2014 commences, there are so many questions still unanswered. People who may want to leave before the new scheme commences and need to give three months Notice need these questions answered but we appear to be shrouded in mystery...
My questions are...
If I leave my current employment with a local authority before 55, can I draw the pension on reaching 55?
If I leave at 55 will any reductions applied be to all my pension years or only those since 2008?
Based on info currently available it seams that a 42% reduction may apply but it is not clear what that applies to.
Does anyone know when these sorts of questions will be answered?
I currently have 30+ years service and may decide to take the 'hit' if practical to do so.

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    People who may want to leave before the new scheme commences and need to give three months Notice need these questions answered but we appear to be shrouded in mystery...

Are you referring to leaving local authority employment or opting out of the LGPS?
    My questions are...
    If I leave my current employment with a local authority before 55, can I draw the pension on reaching 55?
    If I leave at 55 will any reductions applied be to all my pension years or only those since 2008?
    Based on info currently available it seams that a 42% reduction may apply but it is not clear what that applies to.
    Does anyone know when these sorts of questions will be answered?

Does this help?

http://www.wiltshirepensionfund.org.uk/pension-reform-lgps-2014/lgps-2014-frequently-asked-questions.htm
    I currently have 30+ years service and may decide to take the 'hit' if practical to do so.

Are you within 10 years of your normal retirement age for the LGPS?
  • dick_turpin
    Options
    I'm referring to leaving local authority employment.
    The link does help but it is apparent that all the decisions are not finalised yet.
    I am 53.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm referring to leaving local authority employment

Protected early retirement may be applicable to you.

http://www.lgps.org.uk/lge/core/page.do?pageId=100801
  • dick_turpin
    Options
    I find myself in box c in that chart....if that still applies I would expect to lose 42% of 2008 to 2015 service but retain all benefits earned before 2008.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

only if you meet the criteria for the "rule of 85" (age + years of service >=85) and bear in mind that doing so prior to age 60 requires the (former) employers consent
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In two years, the op will be 55, and has 30+ years. So will be under rule of 85?
  • dick_turpin
    Options
    when i'm 55 I will have 34 years service.
  • Pixieboy
    Options
    Right..
    Current scheme.
    Meeting 85 year rule does not entitle you to retire, it only determines what, if any reductions apply to benefits if they are taken before age 65.
    Taking benefits between 55 and 60 requires employers consent. If you have or would have satisfied 85 year rule before 60 this increases cost to employer of letting you take benefits, so many will not consent - times are hard...
    Your employer will have a published policy on how they will exercise such discretionary decisions - ask Human Resources for a copy

Under 2014 scheme (i.e. leave 1/4/14 or later)
    Anyone can leave and draw benefits from age 55 and doesn't require employer's consent BUT they will suffer the full reduction applicable relative to period from date benefits taken to age 65 for pre 1/4/2014 benefits and for post 31/3/2014 benefits to whatever their State Pension Age is (or 65 if later).
    There is no 85 year rule protection applied for these 55-59 type retirements.

It is not clear whether the existing early payment reduction factors will apply, or whether fresh ones will be prepared by the Government Actuary's Department.

Hope this helps clarify things.
  • dick_turpin
    Options
    Thank you pixieboy, are those comments re the 2014 scheme assumptions or facts? I haven't seen them written anywhere else?
  • Pixieboy
    Options
    Well, none of the legislation is actually in place just yet... some will be shortly and the transitional provisions legislation will follow, but this is my understanding as someone 'in the business', as it were.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure