MSE News: More gym-goers will find it easier to cancel contracts

"Over a million gym-goers will find it easier to cancel their contracts, following an investigation by the OFT..."
Read the full story:

More gym-goers will find it easier to cancel contracts

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• I_luv_catsI_luv_cats Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    About time too...

Could never understand how they morally would expect you to continue to pay if you were injured or become unemployed etc.

They don't provide anything up-front (unlike with a mobile phone or modem etc.) so what's the eagerness to keep charging in the ^ above circumstances.

Council gyms/leisure centres often do monthly plans so why can't they.
  • Please I need advice. I joined David Lloyd back in 2009 and used my membership for 3 years before I injured myself and had to freeze my membership. I was paying the freeze payment for about 6 months and when I realised that I was not fully fit to go back to the gym I wrote to them to request that I wanted to give notice to cancel membership. They told that I would need to pay 3 months full membership payment in order to cease membership. If I had already been with the gym for 3 years is that correct. I told them that I was a single parent and that I would not be able to afford to do that. Their Management Company contacted me to arrange to pay instalments which I have done since 2012. I have paid about £270 so far and last year I was made redundant so have been paying them £10 per month out of my job seekers allowance. As I am studying my jobseekers was reduced to £43 per week which myself and my son have to live on. I have told them that I can longer pay them and they have written threatening that I need to pay the balance of £338 in full. Please Please can anyone give me advice please as I am at my wits end.
  • Thanks very much. I know they try and bleed as much money from people and don't care about their circumstances
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals