dwp loan!

Options
hi guys,
i received a letter last week with regards to a dwp loan i had whilst unemployed. fair enough you think, but not really as i have been with my present employer for 7 years now and this is the first time they have written to me, i have been told by my employer that because they have not contacted me before a certain time (6 years) the debt should be written off is this still the case or will i have to pay it.
thanks in advance
kevin

Comments

• Let_Robinson_Sing
    Options
    kjmac1980 wrote: »
    hi guys,
    i received a letter last week with regards to a dwp loan i had whilst unemployed. fair enough you think, but not really as i have been with my present employer for 7 years now and this is the first time they have written to me, i have been told by my employer that because they have not contacted me before a certain time (6 years) the debt should be written off is this still the case or will i have to pay it.
    thanks in advance
    kevin

Hello

This is common occurance for the DWP. I used to work in the collection of these types of loans now the reason why it may have been so long to contact you because of you moving house or moving employer recently. Furthermore the details of your loan could have been on their paper based system and as they may have transferred it to their computer system and it looks like it has flagged that you owe them money. Regarding the 6 year rule you cant claim statue barred on government debt so it does have to be paid back, I used to have to tell this to people who owed government debt from the Thatcher years so sadly it doesnt go away.

Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport