Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Unable to transfer pension

Actually asking on behalf of an irate work colleague who was too late to opt out of our company pension and now has been told he is unable to transfer his funds to his private pension.
Our company has told him that the 2 months monies he paid in which don't amount to a great deal can't be refunded back to him. So if his monies can't be transferred either I am assuming he has lost the money?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So if his monies can't be transferred either I am assuming he has lost the money?

No. Its means the money stays in the pension.
    Actually asking on behalf of an irate work colleague who was too late to opt out of our company pension

Why would he want to opt out? The vast majority of people who opt out are making very bad decisions.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,122 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Why does he want to opt out of his employers pension? Does the employer contribute? If so it would be foolish to not take advantage.

Has he lost the money? I would have thought it should stay there, presumably gaining in value, until he can access it. Perhaps when he leaves the company or retires.
  • Spudsey
    Spudsey Posts: 160 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    No. Its means the money stays in the pension.

Why would he want to opt out? The vast majority of people who opt out are making very bad decisions.

Ah sorry being dumb, so the small amount of money he has paid in just stays there. Doh!

He already has a private pension and can't afford to do both. He also has in his head that if our company went bust then he would lose his money.....
  • Spudsey
    Linton wrote: »
    Why does he want to opt out of his employers pension? Does the employer contribute? If so it would be foolish to not take advantage.

Has he lost the money? I would have thought it should stay there, presumably gaining in value, until he can access it. Perhaps when he leaves the company or retires.

Yep they contribute :)
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,122 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Spudsey wrote: »
    Ah sorry being dumb, so the small amount of money he has paid in just stays there. Doh!

He already has a private pension and can't afford to do both. He also has in his head that if our company went bust then he would lose his money.....

He is wrong. If it was a Defined benefit (final salary) scheme which it almost certainly isnt, there would be protection. If it's a DC scheme that invests in funds the money will be safely held by a pension or insurance company and would have nothing to do with the employers finances.
  • Spudsey
    Linton wrote: »
    He is wrong. If it was a Defined benefit (final salary) scheme which it almost certainly isnt, there would be protection. If it's a DC scheme that invests in funds the money will be safely held by a pension or insurance company and would have nothing to do with the employers finances.

Thanks for that, I assumed he would be wrong as well but as I don't know all the facts I didn't say anything.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If he can't do both has he considered suspending contributions to the PP and in favour of the occupational pension so as to get the employer contributions?

Would a transfer of the PP into the occupational pension (if possible) be worth considering?
  • dunstonh

Also, if he went to top up the existing scheme, he would be classed as an opt out and they would not allow it. There is no logical reason to opt out of a scheme that gives free money to be in one that does not. If he cant afford both then he stops the existing scheme to be in the employer one.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    Also, if he went to top up the existing scheme, he would be classed as an opt out and they would not allow it.

Out of interest, how would the personal pension provider know about the employer based pension provision?

My SIPP provider doesn't ever ask me about my occupational pension, and I'm almost certain there weren't any details requested when I transferred my pension to them a few years ago (from another personal pension).
  • dunstonh
    Out of interest, how would the personal pension provider know about the employer based pension provision?

A number now ask the question on their application when its regular contribution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure