Our story so far....contested IPA agreement - thanks to debt doctor

I just wanted to tell those of you who are stressed and anxious about the whole bankruptcy journey that there is actually a light at the end of the tunnel. Had it not been for this forum and specifically the "debt doctor", we would never have come through this process in one piece. We were in the situation of trying to agree an IPA with the OR. We were given confidence and advice from the "debt doctor' who helped us to challenge the demands of the OR which we would never have done otherwise. As a result of this help and advice, our IPA agreement has finally been reached and is £350 per month less than the first figure we were asked for. It did take quite a while to do this, but again, it was well worth sticking to our guns! My advice to anyone going through the process is not to be afraid to challenge the OR(in a diplomatic way)and to take note of advice given on here. I would like to publicly thank the debt doctor who gave of his time and expertise to help us. He must have spent so much of his own time drafting letters to the OR for us containing the correct terminology and legislation which we wouldn't have managed on our own.Your help has been invaluable and I hope that others in the same situation as us will get some confidence from our story so far. A million thanks debt doctor!

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Fantastic to hear. Thanks for the update. :)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    debt doctor is an absolute star and a credit to the CAB :A

Glad he was able to help you get the right result. All the best for the future.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 September 2013 at 10:09AM
    Hi,

Yes it was quite a battle wasn't it!

What I particularly liked about this one was that in our last point the IS accepted that a bankrupt could have some spare cash with no allocation - £85pm loose change if you like.
    Such allowances support the definition in law of 'reasonable domestic needs' to become satisfied as opposed to basic needs, which in isolation, is what the family expenditure survey is.

Good luck Nav 1- I was very glad to assist.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • fermi
    Would be interesting to see redacted versions of the letters.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• Great news! I am 2 and a bit years into my BR now and don't get on here often anymore, but do recommend it to people who need help as it was my life-saver!
  • fermi
    I would also not that this does not just apply to whether you initially sign an IPA, but also if the OR should request an increase on an existing one.

Existing IPAs can only be varied up or down on agreement of both the OR AND you or order of the court. If an increase you think is unfair is proposed, refuse and fight it.

• fermi
    Hi,

Yes it was quite a battle wasn't it!

What I particularly liked about this one was that in our last point the IS accepted that a bankrupt could have some spare cash with no allocation - £85pm loose change if you like.
    Such allowances support the definition in law of 'reasonable domestic needs' to become satisfied as opposed to basic needs, which in isolation, is what the family expenditure survey is.

Good luck Nav 1- I was very glad to assist.

DD

Seems like the IS still need educating on that point.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure