Has anyone ever been turned down by Barlcays Cashcard?

Options
Hi All,
I have a Co-op cashcard account, opened just before BR 4 years ago. We were discharged within 6 months back in 2009, and now have credit cards we pay off in full every month, mobile phone contracts etc which are all paid properly every month. I was a little concerned about the latest Co-op shenanigans and wanted a back up, but was surprised I couldn't even get a basic account with the Nationwide. I now need to go in branch to try for a Barclays cashcard account but I'm worried I'll get turned down. Does anyone have experience of being turned down by Barclays or do they just check you're on the electoral roll etc..?

Comments

• chunx
    chunx Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    At first when I applied in branch, the advisor told me that the computer was saying, no no no but all she did was override the decision and my account was open. I'd had a barclaycard when I went BR and this was why the computer was declining. Good luck.
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you cleaned up your credit files as per the sticky?

You probably won't get a 'full' bank account until the BR has dropped off you file anyway but you should in general be able t get a basic one now.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • oddbunny
    Options
    Many thanks guys. I haven't cleaned up my credit file yet but I have read the sticky and sent of for our credit reports and will get straight on with that. Here's hoping for Monday then!
  • roxy7699
    roxy7699 Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was able to upgrade to a full account but only once discharged, but got online banking etc back. I had the cash card account prior to bankruptcy so can't offer advice there.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Heard of the occasional refusal, but generally that is due to mistake by staff or failure to verify ID/AML checks etc. Poor credit history or a bankruptcy should not bar you to the Barclays cashcard account.

(baring the caveat that every rule has the occasional exception)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure